PDA

View Full Version : Hello...New Here

onetheme
June 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
It's me zeeshi from PK.
New to this forum and would love to know more about games.

Barrucadu
June 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
It's who from where?

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Nowhere land!

Bölvağur
June 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi. We dont have many other people here from Pakistan (perhaps they are faking to be indian).

Games are often played to test ones wits against another's where both players get equal chance to win and take turns moving pieces/units.

*added*
about games: check the game subforum on these forums

but here is a short list of my favorite:
warsow, nexiuz, spring, crack attack, teeworlds, xmoto, penumbra, wormux.

quake live in few days.
world craft (if you work for blizzard.. other's do not get the linux version)

benny bronx
June 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
It's who from where?

zeeshi from PK, pay attention (PK?)

New to this forum and would love to know more about games.

There are many cool games native to linux. Unfortunately, I am not much of a gamer so you will have to wait for a better reply. but I love OpenArena ( Oh, you shot kyonshi, "oooooh")

|{urse
June 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
do you mean coding games?

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
wow, lots of bots/spam today.

benny bronx
June 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
We dont have many other people here from Pakistan (perhaps they are faking to be indian).

+5 for a Pakistani presence in this formum. In my limited experience, good people and good neighbors. Urdu is tough to learn however. Will give it a shot after I tackle English.

robertguy624
June 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

As my message title suggests I'm totally new to Unbuntu (version 9.04)

On buying a new PC I decided it was the perfect time to move over to Ubuntu and kick Windows into touch once and for all.

I'm pleased to report that the process has been relatively painless - and I'm getting on rather well with my new Ubuntu OS!

I have however encountered a problem when trying to install Java, and I'm hoping someone out there might be able to lend a helping hand.

I've tried to install using every method I can think of (Add/Remove, Terminal and also directly via the Java website)

However I encounter the same error message:

'E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.'

If anyone knows what this message means and what I need to do to install Java I'd appreciate your help.

Many Thanks

Bobby

Daveski
June 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
dpkg is the package manager and looks after the database of installed packages and their dependants. The message is telling you that something has gone wrong and will need this command:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

run from the terminal to fix it. This command means:

--configure package...|-a|--pending
Reconfigure an unpacked package. If -a or --pending is given
instead of package, all unpacked but unconfigured packages are
configured.

What it should do is reconfigure any packages that were decompressed but not fully configured. Once this is sorted, try Synaptic Package Manager from the System, Administration menu and search for Sun Java JRE.

robertguy624
June 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Daveski,

Thanks so much for the quick response :-)

After entering 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' , I now get the message ' [sudo] password for (username), however it wont let me enter any text....am I going mad or am I missing something?

Sorry to be a pain!

Bobby

Daveski
June 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM
No that is fine. The command starts with sudo which tells Ubuntu to run the command with administrator (root) rights. It needs you to type in your password (the normal one you use to log in) BUT it will not show any signs that you are typing. Type the password and hit return.

robertguy624
June 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks once again, Java now installed!