PDA

View Full Version : Should I Go to Ubuntu?

Redfield
June 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hello Guys

I Gather you guys have heard this Question alot and it kinda wears people patience thin. Now i have had Previous experience with Linux before (Also Amiga and Mac), I am currently getting tired of Windows and kinda wanting a change :D

The issue that I have is what i currently do as a Living which is Web Design and Graphics (Also some digital painting). I currently use Adobe Photoshop CS2 for what i do. I am interested in also learning C and C++

So what are the advantages of Going to linux? I Know the disadvantages (for me), But i kinda promised my self i wouldn't spend $200 on another OS which is equivalent to an OpenSource one.

Also will Ubuntu Support these devices without any hickups?
Radeon 4850 (I hear ATI Support is not good on Linux)
D-Link DWL-556 Wireless N PCI-E Adapter
Wacom Intuos3

The Toxic Mite
June 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Go on! Make the switch!

If you encounter ANY problems, just ask some questions on UbuntuForums, and anyone will help you! :D

HappyFeet
June 6th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Try the live cd and find out for yourself. Also, if you need convincing to use something, maybe you should just stick with windows. I found out for myself that linux was right for me, without the need for input from anyone else. But that's just me.

One last thing. Google is your friend. All your questions can be answered by simple searches. Good luck and have a nice day.

joyneo04
June 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I alos agree....the people here in this forum is very co operative.It is also one reason for me too to switch over to linux as i get instant solution of any problem i am facing regarding the usage ,installation of any software in linux.....

cubeist
June 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I can't tell you one way or another if ubuntu is for you... In linux there are a lot of open source alternative to the major windows programs, but they often require an adjustment in technique and/or re-learning things. However if you spend 8 hours a day in front of photoshop alone, there is no direct replacement for that application...

Anyway, to directly answer your questions...
I personally use ATI on linux, and have for years. The proprietary driver has come a long way in the last year and I think it is great. Virtually no problems. Your 4850 will be fine.

Not sure about the wireless adapter.

Wacom Intuos 3 works AOK.

ade234uk
June 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM
It's a matter of taste, and time to get to like Ubuntu. The advantages are of course zero viruses, spyware, a quick running machine and not being tied to Microsoft.

As regards Photoshop CS2 I don't think this runs in Wine, however Photoshop CS does. Dreamweaver 9 also runs fine through wine as well. I have these installed in Wine, and they run as well as they did in Windows. Just don't expect 100% perfect running. You will experience the occasional odd issue, but this is to be expected since this software is Windows only as you know.

I would do what other users suggest and try the live CD first. If the live CD works and you wish to experiment further, install Ubuntu. It will create the partition for you, which will allow you to dual boot with Windows. Please come to Ubuntu with an open mind. Remember Ubuntu is not Windows and that's a good thing.

This is how I started and eventually I removed Windows permanently.

Dimitriid
June 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
In regards of your specific questions you might not need an alternative to photoshop cs2 as it seems to be pretty usable in wine:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2631

XubuRoxMySox
June 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
That's the beauty of a Live CD! You can try it out without installing it and see if Ubuntu will recognize your hardware. It's very adaptable, though, and for the most part can be made to fit your needs and tastes.

mamamia88
June 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hello Guys

I Gather you guys have heard this Question alot and it kinda wears people patience thin. Now i have had Previous experience with Linux before (Also Amiga and Mac), I am currently getting tired of Windows and kinda wanting a change :D

The issue that I have is what i currently do as a Living which is Web Design and Graphics (Also some digital painting). I currently use Adobe Photoshop CS2 for what i do. I am interested in also learning C and C++

So what are the advantages of Going to linux? I Know the disadvantages (for me), But i kinda promised my self i wouldn't spend $200 on another OS which is equivalent to an OpenSource one.

Also will Ubuntu Support these devices without any hickups?
Radeon 4850 (I hear ATI Support is not good on Linux)
D-Link DWL-556 Wireless N PCI-E Adapter
Wacom Intuos3 cs2 runs in crossover which is $40

Redfield
June 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Trying the Live CD on my Spare Comp and Everything seem pretty cool.
Just need a OS that can Last long periods of time (5 days with maybe sometimes going to standby) without crashing and Multitasks Well, So i ended up here.

Good to see CS2 is supported in wine

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
cs2 runs in crossover which is $40

Wine does too, for free.
Though crossover is a good product.

Jon2288
June 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I definitely agree with the other posts in this thread and have had my share of questions when I first started using linux a year or two ago. I can tell you that the support (primarily web and forum based) for linux is unmatched. Your problems, even if they are new to the community, are dealt with quickly.

As for compatibility, I would suggest trying the live CD (as already stated) or even looking into running both at once, either on separate machines or dual booting so you have the complete functionality of both. I currently have a machine with linux for all my other needs besides gaming and I have been completely happy with my set up. The best part is if you need to run a program that only windows supports, swap the machine or reboot and wala!

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
The live CD is free, all its costs is the disk you burn it on.
Usually a burning disk is about a dollar in price depending on where you get it.
But even a dollar is nothing compared to the cost of windows.

RiceMonster
June 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Try it out and see how you feel. Don't forget, there's other Linux varients that may suit you very well. You can try Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, etc.

As for Photoshop, if you really need it, you're going to have to run windows in a VM or dual boot to use it. I wouldn't trust wine. So if this is a big turnoff to you, you're better off not making the switch. Also be warned that Linux may not agree with your hardware as well (I haven't heard about all the stuff you use). Test it out on a live CD before you rush out and install it.

SunnyRabbiera
June 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
As for Photoshop, if you really need it, you're going to have to run windows in a VM or dual boot to use it. I wouldn't trust wine. So if this is a big turnoff to you, you're better off not making the switch. Also be warned that Linux may not agree with your hardware as well (I haven't heard about all the stuff you use). Test it out on a live CD before you rush out and install it.

Wine works fine with me and most people, I have used photoshop CS2 under wine without issue.

jbruced
June 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm learning C and more specifically C++ myself.

Got all the FREE(as in beer and speech) compilers and linkers(that were most recommended BTW) straight from the repos(easy to install software source).

Got eclipse and Qt IDEs (powerful stuff), free as in beer.
Got Qt sdk(you know, cross platform, what was used to write KDE ?), free as in beer.

When you lock up in a loop, or your program crashes your system(not if, but when), Ubuntu is so much easier to kill the offending process and get back to work without having to hard boot and risk corruption.

I'm no pro, but I put in my research before I decided on this platform, and I'm not sorry.

As far as the other stuff, I really wouldn't say one way or the other. I've seen some good advice already given, like, get a CD and try it.

|{urse
June 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I wonder if i went to a mac forums and asked whether i should switch to mac or not what the answer would be?

You mentioned wanting to learn C/C++, after installing ubuntu install code::blocks and follow the tutorials on this site ---> www.cplusplus.com religiously. You'll be writing applications in no time.

Daveski
June 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Good to see CS2 is supported in wine

Although I am not familiar with Photoshop, I find that GIMP will allow me to do everything I need and more as I keep learning new things. GIMP will be on the LiveCD, so have a look.