PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Noob

proud2bcdn
January 16th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Hi All :)
I've just intstalled Ubuntu on a notebook I had lying around, just wanted to see what it was like. So far I'm very impressed...I've heard some of the horror stories of installing Linux but I haven't encountered any serious issues yet...heck Windows2K & XP both killed the notebook I'm using but Ubuntu is running great! I'll spend some time reading through the forums as I'm sure many of the questions I have can be answered there.

Hello and thanks for listening :)

Mr_Grieves
January 16th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Welcome to the forum James :)

My job laptop comes with pointsec and XP pre-installed.. so I can't run Ubuntu on that one..
but if I could.. I would. I hear good stuff about Ubuntu on laptop/notebooks all the time :( :D

Ps.
Pointsec prehibits anything being done to mbr/alteration of partitions. :(
Ds.

darkmatter
January 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Hey James... A heartfelt welcome from one Canadian to another. :)

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy Ubuntu and stick around for a while. :)

proud2bcdn
January 16th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys...I plan on sticking around for a while...being a Microsoft Server Support guy has really jaded me against anything MS so I have been searching out alternatives for when I'm at home (no fun having to support it at work and at home ;)) I made the jump from IE/Outlook Express to Firefox/Thunderbird over a year ago and have enjoyed the better security with less hang ups.

I installed 5.10 on a PIII 800 notebook with ~400MB of RAM and it's fairly snappy...but most of all it hasn't hiccuped at all and that is a very good sign. I've had MS OS's from Millenium through XP Pro on this notebook and it has had serious issues with all of them. If I can work out how to get Diablo running on the notebook then I'll likely convert my desktop to 5.10 as well ;)

proud2bcdn
January 16th, 2006, 10:52 PM
:oops: Sorry...double post :oops:

JimmyJazz
January 16th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Hi All :)
I've just intstalled Ubuntu on a notebook I had lying around, just wanted to see what it was like. So far I'm very impressed...I've heard some of the horror stories of installing Linux but I haven't encountered any serious issues yet...heck Windows2K & XP both killed the notebook I'm using but Ubuntu is running great! I'll spend some time reading through the forums as I'm sure many of the questions I have can be answered there.

Hello and thanks for listening :)
Welcome! I have Ubuntu on a laptop and it workes absolutly perfect.

bloodborne
January 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Welcome! You've got a fellow newbie here, and the forums are really the best out there for Ubuntu help. :)

curuxz
January 17th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Welcome :D

AsburyPark
January 17th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Welcome,

Have fun!

app
September 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the forum James :)

My job laptop comes with pointsec and XP pre-installed.. so I can't run Ubuntu

Pointsec prehibits anything being done to mbr/alteration of partitions. :(
Ds.

I have Pointsec too, and a "holy" company encrypted XP and MBR. But I installed Ubuntu to my 2nd (swap) and 3rd (/) partition (Thinkpad Z60m). I try to boot it manually, first booting to GRUB with a boot CD. But I just can't make GRUB to recognize and boot from /dev/hda3 or /dev/sda3, or any device. (I am confused why the Ubuntu live CD installer referred to my IDE disk as /dev/sda?).

Can anyone point me to fool proof instructions to boot a machine with a CD (GRUB/LILO/anything?), and then more or less manually 2nd-order-boot Ubuntu from desired partition? Even nicer would be to have a Windows tools to force a reboot from 3rd partition Ubuntu.

Also, I think it should be quite easy for GRUB to support booting the Pointsec encrypted Windows partition, but I have never seen discussion of this, so I haven't even tried to find out how to do that?