PDA

View Full Version : Can I update iPod Touch firmware through Vbox?

Gucko
June 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi guys, I'm planing to buy an iPod Touch now but I want to ask if I can update to 3.0 through vbox.

b3n87
June 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hey, never done it myself but I have read somewhere that it does work. Not recommended though.

I have an iPhone and planned using Virtualbox with Win XP and iTunes to use my iPhone. Worst thing Ive ever done - but only use Ubuntu now so might be different for you.

I'd find an alternative MP3 player personally as the Virtualbox method is inconvenient after awhile, but thats just my opinon :)

Hope this helps.

Gucko
June 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Actually I don't understand why this won't work, because iTunes will recognize iPod Touch through VBox as it's in normal Windows. So why this might not work? I don't know why you are not happy with that. Isn't it like in normal Windows?

I have only Ubuntu, and don't want to dual boot.

philcamlin
June 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
same boat as you i just use my grandmas old windows 98 and set it upo in my furnace room lol for a server and ipod
good old xp with 64mb ram :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

dualbooting sucks so theres a decent solution.
depending where you live you could go o kijiji or something and pick up a cheapy there

HappyFeet
June 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
depending where you live you could go o kijiji or something and pick up a cheapy there

Huh?

Anyway, vbox is basically a real install for all practical purposes, so updating your ipod should be no big deal.

kamitsukai
June 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I can do this with my sony walkman so you should be able to do this with an ipod Touch =]

teet
June 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hi guys, I'm planing to buy an iPod Touch now but I want to ask if I can update to 3.0 through vbox.

I'm interested in trying this too. I have never tried to upgrade firmware on my vbox install...there's a warning on the community documentation page stating that bad things could happen if you tried it. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

-teet

swoll1980
June 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, it will work fine. You have to use the version from Sun's website though, because of the usb support.