PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Modify Gnome Right Click Menu

Jaded Misanthrope
June 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I would like to modify the right-click menu that appears on the Gnome Desktop to contain, among other things, submenus containing shortcuts to various applications (e.g. Firefox and the terminal). How would I go about doing this?

I've tried modifying ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts, but this only allows me to add shortcuts in a Scripts submenu. I would like to modify the right-click menu in more depth; for example, removing the options to create a file or directory and adding my own submenus. I'm probably not explaining myself very well, so I'll have a go at creating an ASCII diagram of some sort:

|OpenOffice Calc |

As you can hopefully see, I would like to modify the right-click menu on the desktop such that it contains shortcuts to various applications. Is this even possible without modifying the right-click menus within the Nautilus window as well?

Anzan
June 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM
It might be easier to just use Xubuntu.

Xfce, Fluxbox, and most WMs have a root menu on right-click so that you have what you need regardless of where your cursor is.

I have no idea why GNOME and KDE are broken about this pretty fundamental feature.

Jaded Misanthrope
June 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Well, that sucks. I'd really like to be able to modify the right-click menus or at least have a root menu on right-click, but I've also grown very fond of GNOME's style.

Unless someone has a solution, I best go download Crunchbang, xubuntu or look up a means of changing the WM in Ubuntu. :|

Anzan
June 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM
You can easily add various WMs to your current install.

shemhamforash
July 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yes, but what if you're happy with GNOME? I'm looking for this feature too, but the only way to achieve it seems to be switching WM's..

martinrandau
October 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have the same question and made a new thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1290216