PDA

View Full Version : What is your killer Linux app/ app you simply can't be without in Windows or OS X?

Dml
June 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
A counterpart to windows app thread [sorry if it been posted before]:
what Linux applications or features would prevent you from ever switching back to Windows or OS X?

For me its shell and generally, posix environment, as well as ease of setting up build environments, especially cross platform.
On OS X I have posix environment but miss gnome terminal a LOT (dunno if it has been ported though).
I use mostly open source applications (OpenOffice, Gimp, Inkscape, etc), and those seem to work better on Linux as well.
And what I miss the most on non-free systems is package manager.

Dimitriid
June 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Package Managers.

Viva
June 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I don't think I can use windows anymore. I haven't logged in for a few months.

szymon_g
June 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
1. virtual desktops - like in gnome/kde/icewm (basically, in every wm) - i definetly cannot live without them!
2. package management - i dont have to remember and to check websites of various programs in search for updates.

heroidi
June 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM
k3b amarok rythmbox package manager and the beloved TERMINAL :P

RaZe42
June 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Package Management
Multiple desktops
Gnome-Do's Docky
Compiz
A desktop menu
Possibility to have a panel-less setup
And, in a lesser degree:
Banshee
Inkscape (yes, there's a Windows version, but gtk apps in Windows somehow just don't cut it)

unknownPoster
June 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
1. virtual desktops - like in gnome/kde/icewm (basically, in every wm) - i definetly cannot live without them!

I definitely agree. Virtual desktops increase my efficiency while working quite substantially.

cb951303
June 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM
gnome-do
banshee
lottanzb

+1 for virtual desktops and package managers

which ones pink
June 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Just to point out a few things:
Windows has a terminal, though it's pretty useless. OS X too, but it has bash.
Gnome-Do is inspired by Quicksilver, which is native to Mac.
IMO, there's no media player that can compare to Winamp 5.x (Windows only), unless you want uber-lightweight.
OS X Leopard has virtual desktops.

The package manager and Compiz are probably the most awesome features of Linux (and the best ways to show it off) aside from under-the-hood stuff. And the pretty much infinite customization.

Tibuda
June 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Package manager
Compiz
QuodLibet
Gnome Do
Tomboy
Terminal tools (grep, sed...)

Barrucadu
June 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Package management, tiling window managers, MPD/ncmpcpp, and the GNU userspace.

lethalfang
June 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
the ease of setting up SSH server