PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Unetbootin

celticbhoy
June 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Can Unetbootin be used to create a USB startup disk for win 7?

carml
June 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Maybe it can be done,but on Wikipedia I red you have to use an .iso image of the OS if it isn't one of the Gnu/Linux flavours.

celticbhoy
June 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That would suit fine its a .iso of win7 I want to use. What do I set the distro option at the top to?

carml
June 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I don't know because I've never used Unetbootin,sorry :(

tom56
June 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
As I recall you don't set it to anything, you have to point to the iso. I'll give it a try myself in 5 mins

celticbhoy
June 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
You were right you just point to the ISO - but it aint working with win 7. Is there any way to get this to boot from a USB using linux?

carml
June 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
You need necessarily Unetbootin? I think you can use also something like Virtualbox if you intend to try Windows 7.

celticbhoy
June 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Doesn't have to be unetbootin what else can I use?

whitethorn
June 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Well this might seem a little over the top, but it might be possible. Here's a guide on how to install vista / windows 7 from a usb stick. Problem is you need windows, it should be possible to mount the .iso and copy all the files to a usb stick and then try booting from it. If that doesn't work.

http://kurtsh.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!DA410C7F7E038D!1665.entry

I'm not sure if it works, it might. Use VirtualBox and install win 7 (I'm not sure if the win7.iso is a live cd). When it's loaded then use the above guide (minus the part about formatting your usb stick to copy the data from the .iso to your usb stick and try booting from it. Might be easier to go to a friends house who has windows.

celticbhoy
June 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I have Vista as a dual boot, but really dont like having to use it. I would have prefered a linux option but if that is the only way then so be it. BTW Win 7 is no live disk - they dont believe in that kind of thing.