PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first dedicated Ubuntu PC!

RyanthePenguin
June 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I just ordered an Inspiron 15n from Dell this morning. I'm pretty excited about it. I've dual booted Ubuntu and Fedora alongside Windows for several years now and I decided that it was time that I got a machine that was solely dedicated to Linux. Granted, it isn't much in the gaming department, but it guaranteed 100% Hardware Compatible, which solves the majority of my headaches and it allows me the freedom to really play with Linux. Also, since I will be the only likely to use this machine, it means that I don't have to "de-confus-ify" things for anyone else. I think the first order of business will be to get my GUI squared away...just so I can hide it and work Command Line only for a while. Anybody just use Linux because they have an insatiable desire to tinker with their OS? It is addictive as hell, I've gotten to the point where I back all of my data up before doing anything.

I'm pretty excited and I just thought that I would share. Sadly, I am in Iraq right now, so there will be no tinkering for a month until I get home. Stupid wars, ruining my Ubuntu time.

PryGuy
June 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty excited and I just thought that I would share. Sadly, I am in Iraq right now, so there will be no tinkering for a month until I get home. Stupid wars, ruining my Ubuntu time.

Stupid wars, that's what I'm saying! You buddy get back home safe and sound so you could "tinker" with your new PC!

The Real Dave
June 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
On a non war note, what kind of specs has it? :D

RyanthePenguin
June 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
On a non war note, what kind of specs has it? :D

Inspiron 15n
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache)

System Color
Jet Black

Memory
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz

LCD Panel
Glossy, widescreen 15.6 inch display: 1366x768

Video Card
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

Hard Drive
160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Operating System
Ubuntu Desktop Edition version 8.10

Network
Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Combo or DVD+RW Drive
8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/R Drive)

Sound
High Definition Audio 2.0

Wireless Networking Cards
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half MiniCard

Battery Options
4cell battery

Hardware Support Services
1Yr Ltd Warranty and MailIn Service

calrogman
June 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
How much did that cost?

RyanthePenguin
June 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Just over $300. A little less than a netbook.

momist
June 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
How do we get one in the UK? I've looked at the Dell UK site, and there's no mention of the 15n at all. It's Vista everything. I bet $300 = £380. Anyone?

ddrichardson
June 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
How do we get one in the UK? I've looked at the Dell UK site, and there's no mention of the 15n at all. It's Vista everything. I bet $300 = £380. Anyone?
Tesco's have it at £349.00 with Vista (Inspiron 1545) I bought one a few weeks ago and put Ubuntu on it.

No real issues, Broadcom worked out of the box and its quick enough for visual effects. The only problems I've encountered is that the volume isn't as loud in Ubuntu and occasionally it doesn't resume.

Battery life is terrible though.

momist
June 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks ddrichardson, I thought it would be too much money - for me anyway. How do you define terrible? My wife's Thinkpad now has about an hour and a half battery life, down from the original two and a half when new 2 years ago. I think that's very good, as the "work" laptop runs only 15 minutes. :(
I'm exploring for a birthday present to myself in October :)

starcannon
June 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Nice lappy; about the only thing I'd change is getting a 6 or 9 cell battery for it if they have one. Way cool, I think your going to like it a lot. I bought my Mom the 1420n a couple years ago, its been an absolutely stellar machine.

ddrichardson
June 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks ddrichardson, I thought it would be too much money - for me anyway. How do you define terrible? My wife's Thinkpad now has about an hour and a half battery life, down from the original two and a half when new 2 years ago. I think that's very good, as the "work" laptop runs only 15 minutes. :(
I'm exploring for a birthday present to myself in October :)
Hour and a half. I've a Panasonic Toughbook that still gets four hours so maybe its a harsh judgement.

RyanthePenguin
June 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The battery life isn't too much of a concern for me. I will most likely have the battery off for the majority of the time. I plan to use this machine as a desktop, to sit alonside my gaming rig. I love Ubuntu for normal computing, unfortunately, for gaming I prefer to avoid the headaches/hardware compatability/software compatability issues when gaming. Eventually I will take the plunge and go full Ubuntu, but not just yet.