PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Amd?

matamoscas
June 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
BACKGROUND: I have been using ubuntu for the past couple of weeks on my G4 powerbook, and really like it. Since my powerbook is a little old, I was thinking of building a new box JUST FOR ubuntu.

Having used Linux variants in the past, I know the hardware you buy can make a difference with ease of installation, setup, and eventual long road happiness =)

Also, since i have been using Apple for the past 7-8 years, I really have fallen out of sync with hardware information and trends. Back in the day, AMD was strong.

QUESTION: AMD a plus or minus in a linux environment? I am researching their relative benchmarks atm.

Bucky Ball
June 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
For your eyes only:

http://www.wildlines.net/computing/GreenMachine.html

I am still working on it and will eventually post as a HOWTO on the forums.

If any mods would like to take a look at that page and let me know if it is suitable, feel free.

:)

I used an AMD 4850e, 2.5GHz True Dual Core, 45W; energy efficient and it purrs. Well, actually it's silent and very cool.

Taras.M.K
June 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm quite happy with my AMD. You can get better performance for your money. And I agree with previous post, it's more energy efficient.

matamoscas
June 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the link.

Thanks for reminding me to use environmentally conscious items =)

I might have to bend a little on the video card, but otherwise, I will use "green" items where applicable.

I was already in the planning phases -- that's what precipitated this thread. hehe Yeah, also, I agree. A quieter, energy efficient system is the way to go.

Loud, power guzzling machines are so 1998.

Bucky Ball
June 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Loud, power guzzling machines are so 1998.

How right you are. Superior components exist so why not use 'em? Glad you liked it and good luck. Let us know how it all goes. :)

Bucky Ball
June 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have now posted my HOWTO: on the forums at this address:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7409405#post7409405

:)