PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Sandisk Sansa Fuze MP3 player.

Roasted
June 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Honestly, this really bothers me, to the point where I almost don't want to use this thing.

I understand that programs and mp3 players like to use the ID tags in order to organize your music.

Why can't I just view the files as is? I just want to open 1 folder and see all of my music organized based on the EXACT file name I gave it. Then I can just scroll to P for Pearl Jam or M for Metallica, etc. Rather than opening "Metallica" and seeing 20 "Unknown" albums, then seeing scattered music.

Is there any way I can do this?

days_of_ruin
June 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
AFAIK no there is no way to do this.

Jackelope
June 6th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Not yet (as far as I know). But soon Rockbox will be ported to the Fuse. Right now the Sansa e200 can do this with Rockbox and you can pick them up cheep. Otherwise, wait it out.

If you don't know what rockbox is: http://www.rockbox.org/

Vostrocity
June 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Very few players have file browsing, as manufacturers think it's user-unfriendly or something. And really it is. Think about it, if your file names were all "Artist name - song name", then you would only be able to organize by those two categories. I guess it works for some people. :)

@Jackelope

That's great news. I have an e200 right now and I love Rockbox on it (which has file browsing), but the device itsself absolutely sucks. The Fuze is much higher-quality.

tbroderick
June 6th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Honestly, this really bothers me, to the point where I almost don't want to use this thing.

I understand that programs and mp3 players like to use the ID tags in order to organize your music.

Why can't I just view the files as is? I just want to open 1 folder and see all of my music organized based on the EXACT file name I gave it. Then I can just scroll to P for Pearl Jam or M for Metallica, etc. Rather than opening "Metallica" and seeing 20 "Unknown" albums, then seeing scattered music.

Is there any way I can do this?

Latest firmware has folder navigation.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41988

Roasted
June 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Very few players have file browsing, as manufacturers think it's user-unfriendly or something. And really it is. Think about it, if your file names were all "Artist name - song name", then you would only be able to organize by those two categories. I guess it works for some people. :)

@Jackelope

That's great news. I have an e200 right now and I love Rockbox on it (which has file browsing), but the device itsself absolutely sucks. The Fuze is much higher-quality.

The thing that pisses me off is there is zero consistency in the music I have. People use different ID tags for each album, song, etc. Plus I listen to a TRUCKLOAD of live recorded music, which only aides in solid confusion. When I search through my music and I see people who stupidly misnamed items, I get duplicates.

Examples:

Pearl Jam
PearlJam
pearljam
pearl jam
Pearl jam
PEARLJAM
PEARL JAM
CAnndlebox
Candlebox
Candleboxx
candlebox

It's absolutely ridiculous. I have YET to find a solid use for the ID tags. I would so much rather the player just acknowledge that the first set of the file name = the artist, and only auto-import that ID tag accordingly. That way when I have all of my music typed artist(space)-(space)song, it'll auto-recognize that:

Pearl Jam - Alive
Pearl Jam - I Am Mine
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Pearl Jam - Black
Pearl Jam - Black (Live Pink Pop '92)

That it auto-recognizes all of the above as artist : Pearl Jam.

That's it.

That just... makes sense. I mean this ID tag garbage has me so aggrivated I find it useless to even use my mp3 player when I can't find anything.

I spent an hour last night clearing out ALL ID tags on my Sandisk and manually putting in "Pearl Jam" as the artist for all Pearl Jam songs yet it somehow managed to still screw up the order and where all of the music was.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

3rdalbum
June 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
There are some ID3 tagging programs with advanced functions for standardising your ID3 tags and sorting them all out. EasyTag has some such functions.

I just made sure everything was tagged when I loaded my MP3 player. Anything that's not tagged correctly, I can get through the Folders function.

scooper
June 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
The kid3 program is also pretty good at syncing the id3 tags with your folder/file structure. I also use mp3tag on Windows. It may run in Wine, being that I think it's open source.

I didn't realize the new firmware had folder browsing. Cool. :)

Kingsley
June 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
All you need to do is download your music and spend a couple of minutes with EasyTag afterwards to make sure the tags are consistent.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
The thing that pisses me off is there is zero consistency in the music I have. People use different ID tags for each album, song, etc.

pro-tip: buy your own, rip your own, tag your own. quit complaining.

Vostrocity
June 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
pro-tip: buy your own, rip your own, tag your own. quit complaining.

Better yet, get all your music from one offical source.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Better yet, get all your music from one offical source.

i prefer ripping/tagging myself, which is why i threw that in there.

Roasted
June 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
i prefer ripping/tagging myself, which is why i threw that in there.

I have over 120 gig of music. This would be a full time job for several weeks to accomplish.

In short, fk that.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I have over 120 gig of music. This would be a full time job for several weeks to accomplish.

In short, fk that.

that you downloaded....

so in short, stop complaining about stuff you're getting for free.

Roasted
June 7th, 2009, 12:44 AM
that you downloaded....

so in short, stop complaining about stuff you're getting for free.

In short, fk that.

Please stop posting here. Thanks!

Anybody else have any clue of any mp3 players that views your files as is? I also found this to be an issue with media players in Ubuntu. I loved Amarok 1 due to this feature. Amarok 2 sucks for obvious reasons so I switched over to Exaile.

Any other media players in Ubuntu worth looking at?