PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks

ProbablyX
June 6th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Hi!

I was thinking of getting a netbook. I hear that they will release new models soon and it's a good time to get one cheap.

I'm not really good with specs etc when it comes to this kind of PC, so I was just going to check with those of you that have one, which model would be most useful for taking notes, checking the web and maybe watching TV series on (like some TV channels put their stuff up on the web or for download).

I guess Linux runs on them all (here in Sweden you cant get a notebook without Windows so pricing that way isn't compareable :() so it comes down to plain hardware anyway.

I've found three models that seem nice:

HP Compaq Mini 730
- Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6Ghz + GPU: Intel GMA950
- 1GB RAM (upgradeable to 2)
- 80GB hdd (SATA) @ 4200rpm
- Wireless 802.11b/g
- Bluetooth
- Weight: 1.02kg (2.25lbs)
Size: 26.17cm x 16.67cm x 2.52cm = 10.3" x 6.56" x 0.89"

HP 2133 Mini-Note
- VIA C7-M ULV @ 1.6GHz + GPU: VIA Chrome 9
- 2GB RAM
- 120GB hdd @ 5300rpm
- Wireless a/b/g
- Bluetooth + 1 ExpressCard/54
- Weight: 1.27kg (2.8lbs)

Asus EEE PC 1000H
- Intel Atom N270 + GPU: Intel 945GSE
- 1 GB RAM (upgradeable to 2)
- 160GB hdd
- Wireless b/g/n
- Bluetooth
- Wieght: 1450g (3.20lbs)
Size: 26.6 x 19.12 x 2.85 ~ 3.80 cm = 10.5" x 7.53" x 1.12" ~ 1.50"

-----

A key question is, that I hear the VIA processor isn't as good and that it might underperform (a reviewer said it lagged when watching YT) but is that changeable if I run a 64bit OS? (I heard the CPU was 64bit).

But the main Q is. The HPs are lighter than the ASUS (and the Intel one is the lightest and has a better graphics card), but except for that the ASUS has much more to offer.
Is it worth the extra specs to get the "better" PC or should I go with the HP as its smaller and lighter? The ASUS is also about $60 more.

I guess you dont game or "do stuff" on them thats demanding. Would be nice if I could code on them, but the screens are so small I'd probably end up using my universities 24" screens anyway (they run Linux too :D).

Thanks alot, and excuse me for yet another "what should I buy" post!

SLEEPER_V
June 6th, 2009, 02:45 AM
not even a dell option? I'll be on a mini 9 monday. If they are the same price, I say get the smallest cheapest. HDD space doesnt matter on one of those to me.

Therion
June 6th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I'm very happy with my Asus eee 1000. It's running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 with 2GB of RAM and the performance is very good. The Asus models are really popular so you'll find a lot of online support if you need/want it. I've had nothing but good luck with Asus products over the years generally speaking and my eee 1000 is no exception.

The HP Mini 730 would be my second choice out of the three. Hardware-wise it's comparable to the Asus and it's a little lighter. Not that the Asus is heavy. These things are a breeze to carry around.

I would be concerned about the VIA graphics chipset of the HP 2133 however; last I heard VIA chipsets didn't play well with Ubuntu (someone correct me if I'm mistaken, please). Other than that it seems like a fine machine, but the graphics chipset would be worth researching before you buy.

HermanAB
June 6th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Howdy,

Do yourself a favour and get one with a solid state disk drive. My Asus Eee PC 701 running at 600MHz outperforms new machines running at 1.7MHz that use old fashioned spinning media. A 16GB SSD will be more than adequate. I'm running on a 4GB SSD and a 16GB camera card for /home.

ProbablyX
June 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks for your response.

OK if I add 12 Euros I get:

Dell Inspiron Mini 10v
Intel® Atom™-processor N270 (1,60 GHz, 533 MHz, 512 kB cache)
Intel GMA950
1GB RAM
160GB hdd, 5200rpm
weight: "from 1.2 kg" = 2.65lbs (tho another site said about 3 pounds)
size: 25.34 mm (front) / 28 mm (back) = 1.0 " / 1.1"
wide: 261 mm, 10.28"
Deapth: 182.5 mm, 7.19"

thats what I got from dell's hom dells homep which is kinda messy :O

UPDATE: 30EUR shipping applies...

easybake
June 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I got an acer aspire one about 6 months ago. It's really nice. I would highly suggest getting the largest battery option, for whatever one you choose. It can be the difference between 2 hours and 5 hours of use.

The specs are usually similiar across the board but I would go with a large hdd just because you never have to worry about storage.

ProbablyX
June 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for answering :)

The ASUS ships a 7-9h battery (a test I read said 9 is stated but they maxed out 7.5h) - the others like arround 3.

However, larger battery == heavier and larger PC.

These tests were also done in Windows.

I dont know, I suppose I can use it on the train as its small and work when I go to the university. My MacBook rev 1 isnt all that light :P Also it hurts my shoulders thats why I want to go as light as I can.

So, what do you think? Is battery *all* that important, for arround €60 I saw the HP can get a 6 cell battery too.

Just to clear. With the Intel N70, the HP I stated is the cheapest on the market (just been price dropped).

Thanks!

red_Marvin
June 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Depending on how much of a hurry you are in to get one, I'd wait until the third quarter when some arm based (good battery life) netbooks are supposed to start popping up.

jonathanysp
June 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
i bought a asus 1000H last year when it just came out. i love it, the battery life is great (but its slowly dying) it still lasts for around 3-4 hours of medium usage. Its so portable and nice! the processor is not super fast but i only really use it for web browsing and writing stuff so its ok.

but if you can wait longer, im sure more cheaper, faster and better ones will come out later this year.

ProbablyX
June 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
but if you can wait longer, im sure more cheaper, faster and better ones will come out later this year.

Yeah, I thought I'd be nice to have one during the summer, when you're "more mobile". But I wont need it as such until August or something - so maybe I should wait.
However my birthday is comming up and theres a chance I will get one then so...

Cowchip7
June 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I love my mini 9. I would recommend one; however, Dell no longer makes them! The SDD and RAM are easily accessible, making it easy to upgrade. Also the mini 9 works great with vanilla ubuntu.

I agree with one of the above posters... SSD is the way to go. I would go with the eeepc.

Keep in mind System76's netbook. Unfortunately, they do not offer an SSD.

http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=92

ProbablyX
June 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hi!

Theres a Mini 10 on sale here. I spec'ed it above :):

Dell Inspiron Mini 10v
Intel® Atom™-processor N270 (1,60 GHz, 533 MHz, 512 kB cache)
Intel GMA950
1GB RAM
160GB hdd, 5200rpm
weight: "from 1.2 kg" = 2.65lbs (tho another site said about 3 pounds)
size: 25.34 mm (front) / 28 mm (back) = 1.0 " / 1.1"
wide: 261 mm, 10.28"
Deapth: 182.5 mm, 7.19"

BTW theres also a Dell with built-in TV tuner and stuff that costs like €40 more but it has a "Intel® Atom™-processor Z520 (1,33 GHz, 533 MHz)" could that be an option? I think its in the area of the ASUS (the non-v version of the Inspiron)

duckfeet
June 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I just got a Dell mini-9 about a month ago, "jade green, 2gb ram" and I was pretty enthusiastic about getting it, and have had good experiences w/Dell since getting my first laptop, way back in 1995, in Austin Texas...

But this time, was quite a bit difference: I had a minor problem w/the wireless not working, and found out the Dell's service was terrible, doing the predictable shuffle all over the world, and back, mostly India, for one afternoon, without really getting help...eventually I sorted it out, on here, and that wasn't the major reason I won't keep mine...

The main reason is the keyboard: I thought it wouldn't bother me as much as it did, but I never could get used to the tiny rthand shift key, and the different placement of other keys...seemed like a small thing when I ordered...but between that, and the abysmal service they provide now, I'd never go Dell again, and I used to always be big fan...so mine's up on ebay right now, bids coming in all week...

I myself, would probably go w/the HP2133, w/ssd, but I'm going to hold off a bit, as I'm really interested in Android OS, that might be coming out later...

Best wishes...