PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever read this?

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 02:10 AM
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/popup-license/standard-license.html

I found it a bit interesting.

LepeKaname
June 6th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Which parts are the ones you find interesting? I usually never read the licenses... don't have that much time.

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 02:22 AM
the first part

Oracle Technology Network Developer License Terms

Export Controls on the Programs
Selecting the "Accept License Agreement" button is a confirmation of your agreement that you comply, now and during the trial term, with each of the following statements:

-You are not a citizen, national, or resident of, and are not under control of, the government of Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Libya, North Korea, Syria, nor any country to which the United States has prohibited export.
-You will not download or otherwise export or re-export the Programs, directly or indirectly, to the above mentioned countries nor to citizens, nationals or residents of those countries.
-You are not listed on the United States Department of Treasury lists of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Terrorists, and Specially Designated Narcotic Traffickers, nor are you listed on the United States Department of Commerce Table of Denial Orders.

You will not download or otherwise export or re-export the Programs, directly or indirectly, to persons on the above mentioned lists.

You will not use the Programs for, and will not allow the Programs to be used for, any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, for the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons of mass destruction.

EXPORT RESTRICTIONS
You agree that U.S. export control laws and other applicable export and import laws govern your use of the programs, including technical data; additional information can be found on OracleŽ's Global Trade Compliance web site (http://www.oracle.com/products/export).

You agree that neither the programs nor any direct product thereof will be exported, directly, or indirectly, in violation of these laws, or will be used for any purpose prohibited by these laws including, without limitation, nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons proliferation.

LepeKaname
June 6th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Specially Designated Terrorists

Then I can't use Oracle... what a shame....#-o

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM
this was kinda funny some of the comments on the bottom of the oracle side.
I lke the number one reason on the sql side

http://versus.bix.yahoo.com/vs/MySQL-vs-Oracle

The Real Dave
June 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Ya know, I bet alot of the times, the stuff in licence forms are just put there for the craic, to see does anyone ever read them.

I read one on an early version of ImgBurn, and it included such great lines as

Use of this software to make illegal copies of hard boiled eggs is strictly prohibited. You may only burn copies of soft boiled eggs

Now either the word "eggs" stood for something to them or :confused:

The Toxic Mite
June 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
-You are not a citizen, national, or resident of, and are not under control of, the government of Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Libya, North Korea, Syria, nor any country to which the United States has prohibited export.

That is extremely racist.

Einsamkeit
June 6th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I remember reading the ITunes license and finding something about nuclear weaponry..

Licensee also agrees that Licensee will not use the Apple Software for any purposes prohibited
by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design,
manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological
weapons.

That's just fabulous. haha

beddy
June 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I think you could take the processor out of iTunes and use it for there suggested don't do product. then again we were talking about it one day during school.

Einsamkeit
June 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I think you could take the processor out of iTunes and use it for there suggested don't do product. then again we were talking about it one day during school.

Explains alot, had no idea you could do that. :O
Still, I doubt that someone would care about ITunes' license if they were already building nuclear weaponry in their backyard shed. haha

Simian Man
June 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM
It's just crap to make the lawyers and politicians happy. Oracle is a business and does not want to get sued for not including some stupid line in their license that nobody reads anyway. Calm down :).

Mehall
June 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Those things were mostly added fairly recently.

MSFT have also been stopped from letting the mentioned countries in the Oracle EULA using Windows Live Messenger (though they can still access from Pidgin and other alternatives, if memory serves)

It's not Oracle's doing, but the US Law. There is a US Mandate making all proprietary software legally classed as exports in that situation, and the US has a halt on ALL exports to those countries.

However, not even US law can circumvent the GPL and other OSI licenses, so those can still be distributed freely.

Giant Speck
June 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM
That is extremely racist.

How is it racist?