PDA

View Full Version : Should I have done differently?

dragos240
June 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I saw a kid at my school that I know that was smoking..... under 18, in my state MA, It's not illegal for minors to smoke, but it is illegal for people to sell them cigarettes. I told my vise-principal to tell my principal about this so she could tell this kid's parent (My principal was out). And since I didn't know this kid's number, I couldn't do it myself, my parents are now telling me that what I did was not the right thing to do, but In my mind, I did, and my friend also agreed with me. I told my dad "You know what would be better than the whole school telling me the same thing? A whole community to." So then I got online, and finally now I am posting this topic. What do you think?

burvowski
June 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Snitches get stitches.

His smoking wasn't affecting you. There was no reason to ruin that kid's day if his actions weren't hurting anyone but himself.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 12:08 AM
you're going to get your @ss kicked.

TheOrangePeanut
June 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
He was smoking. I don't smoke, but it's his choice. It's not like he was murdering someone or something. What business of yours was it what he was doing?

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
you're going to get your @ss kicked.

Oh well.

Tibuda
June 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Snitches get stitches.

His smoking wasn't affecting you. There was no reason to ruin that kid's day if his actions weren't hurting anyone but himself.
Were not hurting anyone? Have you heard of passive smoking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking)?

Therion
June 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Wow.

Are you in the habit, typically speaking, of making others personal decisions your business?

MY advice: Butt out. Seriously.

/No pun intended.

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Were not hurting anyone? Have you heard of passive smoking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking)?

It was outside. And he was far ahead of me. It couldn't get to me.

burvowski
June 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM

There is nothing in there about short term effects of it, and regardless, nothing in the OP mentioned him smoking near anyone. Running a car is bad for other's health in the long term but that's not illegal.

DeadSuperHero
June 6th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Well, I certainly wouldn't let you over to smoke any of MY weed. For all you know, that kid could be the nicest guy ever and needed a friend. You lose -1000000 points for being a goody-goody.

burvowski
June 6th, 2009, 12:20 AM
That kid might have known you as the linux kid, and now is resolved to never ever try Linux. He might end up working at Microsoft because of you! Nice going

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Well, I certainly wouldn't let you over to smoke any of MY weed. For all you know, that kid could be the nicest guy ever and needed a friend. You lose -1000000 points for being a goody-goody.

Oh well...... I do know the guy, and I just believe that smoking is wrong. And calling his parent, he can take it from there.

Giant Speck
June 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Was the kid smoking at school? Don't most, if not all, schools have regulations against smoking on school grounds?

Tibuda
June 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Oh, I see. I think you should talk to him if he smokes close to you, but not to someone else.

heroidi
June 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It's not wrong what you have done but right nethier... you decide e.g in my country kids start smoking at 5fth grade when they go to high school they smoke weeds but i don't smoke... some of those kids parents know it but they don't talk it's the parent's mistake not you're so it comes that you're right

-grubby
June 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Oh well...... I do know the guy, and I just believe that smoking is wrong. And calling his parent, he can take it from there.

Ok, you believe that smoking is wrong. So don't smoke. You know what's better than tattling on him? Talking to him about it, privately.

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Ok, you believe that smoking is wrong. So don't smoke. You know what's better than tattling on him? Talking to him about it, privately.

Well..... He's really not the one to talk about things like that, and me being on the outside of the croud and him being in....

cariboo
June 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I think dragos240 has had enough, I'm going to close this thread for his sake.

Edit: dragos240 has asked me to leave the thread open

heroidi
June 6th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I have some friends like that in my class too and half of my class has tried smoking but me not let them do what they want they'll try anything to leave smoking when it's too late but you've done well that you told his parents mabye they will talk to him and he can quit smoking forever he'll thank you for this not now but later you'll see if he's a bad guy he'll punch you right in you're face :P lol

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I think dragos240 has had enough, I'm going to close this thread for his sake.

No. DONT

Skripka
June 6th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Was the kid smoking at school? Don't most, if not all, schools have regulations against smoking on school grounds?

As I recall from a brief stent in the public schools, yes.

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 12:43 AM
As I recall from a brief stent in the public schools, yes.

No. I think I was a tad vague about where I was, I was walking out of school and I was out of school grounds.

Regenweald
June 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
You made a slightly off judgment call. We all do at some point. The way i look at it, it's 2009 the information age, in a developed country such as yours no young person can say : " Well, i didn't know that smoking can kill me'. We all know it kills, we all have a choice. Give them the freedom to make theirs as you exercise the freedom to make yours.

You don't have to stop trying to help people, just do it on the front lines. Not by proxy :)

FalloutMan
June 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Wow, really? You told on a kid for underage smoking... The thing I see wrong with this is the type of person you are. I'll give you some advice kid, don't join the Navy with an attitude like that. What you did was wrong in some ways and not others. You mentioned about him being "in the crowd" and you not is because of who you are, or at least as much of you as I can see from this thread. Hell in school I was in the geek crowd which didn't consist of today's stereotypical highschool kids and if you pulled this off we woulda sent you packin. You shouldn't tell tell on everyone because noone will like you no matter what crowd they are in. I think you need to go back to Social Skills 101.

Giant Speck
June 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I'll give you some advice kid, don't join the Navy with an attitude like that. .

Ehhh.... who'd want to join the Navy anyway? :p

tgalati4
June 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
So let me get this straight: You can give him a cigarette and that is legal. He can smoke it legally (off of school grounds and 25' from buildings, etc, etc.) You just can't sell him a cigarette.

When I was going to school in Boston, you couldn't serve alcohol at a party and charge admission. So all of our college parties were free. We even hired a campus cop to supervise that we weren't charging admission.

Mass has some strange laws.

Anyway, leave the kid alone, he has enough problems. Enough to drive him to smoke.

burvowski
June 6th, 2009, 12:53 AM
So let me get this straight: You can give him a cigarette and that is legal. He can smoke it legally (off of school grounds and 25' from buildings, etc, etc.) You just can't sell him a cigarette.

When I was going to school in Boston, you couldn't serve alcohol at a party and charge admission. So all of our college parties were free. We even hired a campus cop to supervise that we weren't charging admission.

Mass has some strange laws.

Anyway, leave the kid alone, he has enough problems. Enough to drive him to smoke.

you can't give them a cigarette. that's illegal

Icehuck
June 6th, 2009, 12:54 AM
It's good you did it while in high school. This way the most you will get is beat up. Do it when you get older and you will get your throat cut and at that point probably deserve it. No one likes a rat.

Giant Speck
June 6th, 2009, 12:55 AM
you can't give them a cigarette. that's illegal

Then I don't understand how it'd be legal for an underage person to smoke, then, if all the methods of obtaining a cigarette are illegal.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM
...and me being on the outside of the croud and him being in....

..and the fog lifts

burvowski
June 6th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Then I don't understand how it'd be legal for an underage person to smoke, then, if all the methods of obtaining a cigarette are illegal.

It's legal for an underage person to smoke because it's legal for them to smoke. It's illegal for someone to buy them one and for someone to give them one. There's plenty on instances of the law that are like that. If a kid were to be punished, it wouldn't be for smoking.

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 01:01 AM
ehhh.... Who'd want to join the navy anyway? :p
+1

WildeBeest
June 6th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Myofb!!!!!

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Myofb!!!!!

Sheesh. No need for acronyms like that! :p

cariboo
June 6th, 2009, 01:33 AM
dragos240 has requested I close this thread. So be it.