PDA

View Full Version : Songbird +1

wsonar
June 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I had been stuck in the minimal xmms non clunky media player mindset
for the longest time. never liked the big bulky players with all there features. Till I came across Songbird

This thing is pretty slick

So I decided to give it a little promotion

now my default player check the screen shot

LowSky
June 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
um..ok....awesome!?

ubuntu27
June 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I like songbird also. It is my default music player ^^

peakshysteria
June 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I must say I do like Songbird as well. But it consumes way too much CPU to become my default player.

wsonar
June 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
yea for a modern system I will use it but on an older system a more minimal player would be more sufficient

Sashin
June 5th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I don't think it's written in GTK. The window didn't wobble when I tried it.

Regenweald
June 5th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Looks hot, I noticed it's also one of the few players available in OpenSolaris. In Ubuntu I'm an Exaile man though.

wsonar
June 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Looks hot, I noticed it's also one of the few players available in OpenSolaris. In Ubuntu I'm an Exaile man though.

I was running opensolaris and was digging it but then it seemd opensuse did a little better for my work needs

Sashin
June 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Dammit it still doesn't wobble, it's the only music player I tried that doesn't.

If it was more integrated into the gnome desktop it would be perfect.

I can't even move the window much... and it's slow.

kk0sse54
June 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Dammit it still doesn't wobble, it's the only music player I tried that doesn't.

lol, it does not and will not wobble. Is that really a problem?

wsonar
June 5th, 2009, 11:24 PM

If it was more integrated into the gnome desktop it would be perfect.

I can't even move the window much...

What do you mean I've never used a wobbly media player

wsonar
June 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'll have to test it on gnome when I get home to see how it acts I move the window no problem

CJ Master
June 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM
What do you mean I've never used a wobbly media player

Wobbly windows are imperative for a music player! Duh! :P

SomeGuyDude
June 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Can someone tell me what it does that is so crucial that a simpler one doesn't?

The only feature I've ever seen in Exaile that I'd like Sonata to have is the ability to do smart playlists, but that's pretty easy to get around. What's Songbird got that makes it great?

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM
wobbly sounds so much better

wsonar
June 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Can someone tell me what it does that is so crucial that a simpler one doesn't?

The only feature I've ever seen in Exaile that I'd like Sonata to have is the ability to do smart playlists, but that's pretty easy to get around. What's Songbird got that makes it great?

the media shuffle album art and lyrics and thems are kinda neat

favorite part tho is probably the media shuffle but there are a ton of add-ons

eye candy is fun:D

Sashin
June 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Well it is so important for it to be intergrated with the desktop. And not behaving like the rest of the windows is really really bad.

This is the only application I have that doesn't wobble, I can't move completely freely (off the screen) and I can't drag across the cube to another workspace.

Those things are crucial since it'll break the way I interact with my windows.

Another thing that's less crucial is that it doesn't look consistent with GTK colours but theming more of less cancels that out to some extent. But it could still be more gnome friendly.

What would be great would be a music player this feature filled and slick written in GTK.

wsonar
June 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM
this is cross platform I will have to try it on gnome it's
awesome on KDE and Windows

and did I mention

add-ons, add-ons,themes and add-ons

Vostrocity
June 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I use and love Rhythmbox. If the Ubuntu developers made it default, it must be good right? :D But actually I've tried a bunch of media players and I still like Rhythmbox the best for its simplicity, performance, and features.

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Ok so in gnome you can't drag it to alternative desktops but besides that everything else is great

still the plethora of add-ons in incredible

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Using my scroll button on my mouse over the media shuffle is pretty cool to scan through the albums. It definitely gives a modern feel to it

but have to admit lower systems couldn't really handle it

XMMS dosent drag to other desktops either so no loss for me there since that is what I was using

hotweiss
June 6th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I use it myself and love it.

Regenweald
June 6th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I was running opensolaris and was digging it but then it seemd opensuse did a little better for my work needs

I'm fast becoming a one app per function kind of guy. OpenSolaris seems limited on packages, but the whole "OMG I can install ANYTHING!" period has gone from me :) I think it fits me. Once i get a new hard drive, I'll give it a proper whirl.

Depressed Man
June 6th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Ok so in gnome you can't drag it to alternative desktops but besides that everything else is great

still the plethora of add-ons in incredible

What do you mean? I have Songbird running on my laptop and I can drag it to any of my virtual desktops..and I think it wobbles too. Did you have the backwards compatible plugin in Compiz active?

northwestuntu
June 6th, 2009, 01:24 AM
for the longest time. never liked the big bulky players with all there features. Till I came across Songbird

i agree. never liked the big bulky players, but songbird looks great and has great features that the others can't offer. if they could slim it down a bit. that would really help.

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I'm fast becoming a one app per function kind of guy. OpenSolaris seems limited on packages, but the whole "OMG I can install ANYTHING!" period has gone from me :) I think it fits me. Once i get a new hard drive, I'll give it a proper whirl.

it was when I went to add conky and it said after installing gcc and the other stuff it was asking for something like

"this application cannot be installed on your operating system SunOS" something similar to that."

I'm sure there's a hack and some have got it to work but I got to say I'm just loving opensuseKde finally everything at work works on it for the most part obviously not the proprietary MS stuff but the stuff you'd expect to be able to do.

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 01:30 AM
What do you mean? I have Songbird running on my laptop and I can drag it to any of my virtual desktops..and I think it wobbles too. Did you have the backwards compatible plugin in Compiz active?

I'm not failure with that would I need to add it?

Regenweald
June 6th, 2009, 01:45 AM
it was when I went to add conky and it said after installing gcc and the other stuff it was asking for something like

"this application cannot be installed on your operating system SunOS" something similar to that."

I'm sure there's a hack and some have got it to work but I got to say I'm just loving opensuseKde finally everything at work works on it for the most part obviously not the proprietary MS stuff but the stuff you'd expect to be able to do.

I see, conky would definitely be a dealbreaker for some....:) In my case, Must have apps,lets see: Document Suite - Oo | Multimedia - Songbird, Elisa | Graphics - Gimp, Inkscape | Internet - Firefox, Limewire (any java app) | Wine | And as long as the Gnome Education apps work, I'm golden. In addition there is always OpenBox and Zones in case of deseprate emergencies....:)

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I like mplayer.

Regenweald
June 6th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I like mplayer.

With the Smplayer frontend :) Only one I use....ppa's if you need. VERY current.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/mplayer/ubuntu

http://ppa.launchpad.net/rvm/smplayer/ubuntu

Depressed Man
June 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I'm not failure with that would I need to add it?

Workarounds in Compiz?

EnGorDiaz
June 6th, 2009, 02:56 AM

i agree and also if your surfing a flash video on firefox it doesnt crash alsa while playing music

wsonar
June 6th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Do you know what option?

Depressed Man
June 6th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Do you know what option?

I'm not on my laptop, but my desktop's Compiz settings should be the same. If so the ones I have OpenOffice.org, Java, AIGLX framerate fix.

Out of those three the only one that makes sense is Java. Though is Songbird even written in Java? I thought it was XULrunner..

Edit: If that doesn't work I'll boot up my laptop later this weekend to see what's different and why it's fine on mine.

ctrlmd
June 6th, 2009, 03:44 AM
it's a great music player i find the only way to make it wobbly is press Alt key and move the window to another location but by default without the help of Alt key i can't

anyway i still prefer banshee :D

YoungQuiz
June 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
i use and love rhythmbox. If the ubuntu developers made it default, it must be good right? :d but actually i've tried a bunch of media players and i still like rhythmbox the best for its simplicity, performance, and features.

+1

Vostrocity
June 6th, 2009, 05:03 AM
+1

What's with all my letters being lowercase? Oh well. :o