PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 8.04 LTS over 9.04

Boozsha
June 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Sorry for a noob question, but I've search through the forums and googled. My head is hurting now. Can I install 8.04 LTS over 9.04? I'm assuming that I can boot to the CD and go through the installer and it will recognize my 9.04 partion. At that point I can select it for installation.

GMachine_24
June 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
When you say can you select "it" for installation, I assume you mean install version 8.04? I would assume you can wipe the hard drive and install 8.04 but, to be honest, I've never tried that. If worse comes to worst, you can always wipe the hard drive with an app such as www.killdisk.com and start again .... sometimes I've had funny things happen when attempting to install an Ubuntu version . . . so I can't promise anything, but you should be able to as long as you choose the selection to install 8.04 on your entire hard drive.......you obviously will be unable to "upgrade" from a newer version to an older one......

t0p
June 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Stick in the hardy (8.04 LTS) live cd. At the options page choose to install ubuntu to your hard drive. After language selection the installer will ask about partitions: select to use the entire disk. That should do it.

lovinglinux
June 5th, 2009, 11:14 PM
If you have a separate partition for /home (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome), then you can preserve your settings and personal files, by just mounting the home partition again during the installation, without formatting it. But if you don't have a separate partition, then your personal data will be overwritten.

BTW, if you want to preserve any partition, you must use the manual partition method, not the "entire disk" option.

crossedout
June 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
It sounds like you just want to get rid of 9.04 and replace it with 8.04. If you are willing to do the reinstall, then there is no reason why you can't. Just choose your partition and select to format it before the install. That will wipe out 9.04 and reinstall 8.04.

If I am misunderstanding, let me know and I'll provide a better answer.

Good Luck!

-Xout

Boozsha
June 6th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I also left out that I have XP on the same hard disk that I don't want to get rid of, yet. I'm running the 8.04 LTS disk now.