PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Package Manager error

Chinedu
June 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
My package Manager reports an error each time i open it to install updates. the error is
"An unresolvable error occured while reading the package information.
Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:
'E:Read error-read(5 input/output error), E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'"
Please how do i rectify this problem because i cannot even install any software because of this error status.

porchrat
June 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
It could be that Ubuntu is trying fetch stuff from the CD instead of the respositories on the net.

An easy thing to try though (without mucking around with the system too much) is to run this command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get autoclean

Should remove any unneeded or partially installed/downloaded packages as this may be causing the problem.

Another thought is have you been editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file? Please post the contents of it.

In case you don't know how to do that you can use this command in the terminal:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Then copy and paste what you get into your next post.

EDIT: Actually you don't need to do that, just check to see if the line containing a reference to "cdrom" starts with a "#" character. If it doesn't, then add one, if it does, then perhaps try deselecting all the repositories through synaptic, saving and restarting.

jnw222
June 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
try
sudo apt-get -f
or was it
sudo apt-get install -f

porchrat
June 5th, 2009, 10:22 PM
try
sudo apt-get -f
or was it
sudo apt-get install -f