PDA

View Full Version : [other] lions and tigers and bears... oh my!

mpennell
June 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
And puppies!

So, someone suggested Puppy Linex, saying it's great with older systems. Any thoughts?

My intention has been Xubuntu. But any quick thoughts on one versus the other, given that the overarching goal is to get by on an older system (though I DO plan to get added memory... possibly as much as 1GB of RAM.. or less, if J. does have some friendly RAM lying around his house...[beggars aren't choosers]).

(Dell Dimension 2400, 2.66, 256MB, 40GB, and a partridge in a pear tree.)):P Hey, look-- a wavy guy! In my strange hometown there actually IS a "Wavy Guy" -- friendly older gent who pauses in his walk everytime a car goes by, and waves. Very cool. I always wave back. ):P

LewRockwell
June 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
And puppies!

So, someone suggested Puppy Linex, saying it's great with older systems. Any thoughts?

My intention has been Xubuntu. But any quick thoughts on one versus the other, given that the overarching goal is to get by on an older system (though I DO plan to get added memory... possibly as much as 1GB of RAM.. or less, if J. does have some friendly RAM lying around his house...[beggars aren't choosers]).

(Dell Dimension 2400, 2.66, 256MB, 40GB, and a partridge in a pear tree.)):P Hey, look-- a wavy guy! In my strange hometown there actually IS a "Wavy Guy" -- friendly older gent who pauses in his walk everytime a car goes by, and waves. Very cool. I always wave back. ):P

Do people still walk around nude in Brattleboro?

What a trip that was...lol.

mpennell
June 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Yes, I hear it is so. But I've never actually seen any myself. I'm about 45 mins from Brattleboro and don't really go there much, preferring to cross the river into New Hampshire (where I wish I lived). Live free or die, baby!

TheNosh
June 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
New Hampshire (where I wish I lived)

really? VT rules though imo

as for your question about Puppy linux, it was my first distro and i can't recomend it highly enough! for low end machines it's pretty hard to beat, just don't expect everything to be quite as simple as with ubuntu

jmszr
June 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM
mpennell,

Upgrading the RAM will certainly would make things simpler (and faster). However you can install Xubuntu: http://www.xubuntu.org/get easily with your specs and perhaps Ubuntu using the text-based alternate install: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate . Until you install the additional RAM I'd go with Xubuntu and then you could add the Ubuntu desktop at that time.

Edit: Don't plan on much in the way of bling until you get more RAM.

mpennell
June 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
"Bling"? Haha. I think I get it.

MrWES
June 5th, 2009, 11:32 PM
And puppies!

Don't know what your cash situation is, but you can put a gig on that computer for about $40:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146219

If not, you can run either Xubuntu fairly OK, and Puppy Linux very nicely on that machine.

~Bill

mpennell
June 6th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Thanks, Bill! I really appreciate advice like this. Cheers!
~Mark

k3lt01
June 6th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Your machine is more powerful than my laptop was originally. 1.3 Celeron, 256MB RAM, 40GB hdd. Now it has a 250GB hdd with no other changes and runs a full install of Ubuntu (Jaunty) very nicely. Just use an alternate install disk cause the last version that would install from a LiveCD with 256MB or RAM was Hardy.

mpennell
June 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM
OK- thanks! I don't yet know what that means ("alternate installer") but I will look it up and figure it out. I am SO close-- Staples was closed tonight when I got there, and I need to get some CDs to back up family photos before I move forward with a new OS. (Coulda gone to WalMart but I just didn't feel like going to that zoo. STaples is nice and peaceful... I like that.) As soon as photos are backed up, I will likely install Xubuntu. (THough I'm considering Ubuntu too if I get more memory, since the general feeling seems to be that a bit more RAM would be prudent for Ubuntu.)

Thanks for the input!:guitar: (I let my 6 y-o son pick the smiley... :-({|= And he wanted to add Violin Guy...)

Hey look- I have an avatar now! For the first time ever in my life!

MrWES
June 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
OK- thanks! I don't yet know what that means ("alternate installer") but I will look it up and figure it out.

With only 256mb of RAM, you might have issues if you use the standard installation disk which is graphically driven. However, according to the official Xubuntu site, you only need 128mb of RAM to run and 192mb to install, so you might not need the alternate installation CD, which is a text based driven installer and designed for users who have a limited amount of RAM.

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

I think you'll be fine with Xubuntu on that computer.

~Bill