PDA

View Full Version : does anyone in the world actually access phpmyadmin

kapi
June 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM
after four days, numerous threads and endless nights of trying to gain access to phpmyadmin I have come to the conclusion that from a users perspective . . . how can I put this as politely as possible IT SUCKS!

I have installed it six times, had numerous help from others telling me to make sure there is symlinks or make new users within mySQL or reset the password or even just reinstall and make sure certain include files exist in etc/int.d

well I've had it! Sorry this is my rant, I studied software development at uni and have come to the conclusion that it should work straight out of the box not take a ridiculous amount of time to set it up, I have wasted more time than I can afford

Dont use this rubbish, i'll just have to try something else

Celauran
June 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I use it every day from six different machines and have never had a single problem. Really haven't a clue why it's giving you such a hard time.

marshall.robert
June 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Did you download it from the website of from the Ubuntu repositories?

sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin

That ensures that it is correctly set up too. With the added advantage of updating automatically.

albinootje
June 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I have installed it six times, had numerous help from others telling me to make sure there is symlinks or make new users within mySQL or reset the password or even just reinstall and make sure certain include files exist in etc/int.d

What I usually do is the following :

1) Remove /var/www/phpmyadmin symlink
2) Create directory /var/www/phpmyadmin directory
3) Mount it when I need it, as following :

sudo mount --bind /usr/share/phpmyadmin /var/www/phpmyadmin

4) open the url with the php defined, e.g. :
http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index.php
5) After usage :

sudo umount /var/www/phpmyadmin

It's important to look at the authentication options that exist, and then configure which one you prefer to use.

And there's also a new project which has a similar name as phpmyadmin, but is a much simpler version.
Can't find it on http://freshmeat.net right now because I don't remember the exact name.

pluckypigeon
June 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I ripped my hair out with it as well but when I got it to work it was very useful for me.

I uninstalled it from synaptic and just downloaded it from the site and placed it in the www directory. If I remember rightly the default username was root and the password was just a blank field.

I don't really remember much more then that.

Hope you sort out your problems.

kapi
June 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Hi again celauran, thanks for all your help. No neither have I. My user name is root and then I enter the mySQL password and nothing happens. In mySQL I can login using the root and password but with new added users it won't let me in. Dont know if thats of any significance

ddrichardson
June 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Are you referring to the issue on some Ubuntu boxes where Firefox insists on downloading the index.php file rather than executing it? Sorry to make assumptions but you didn't state the problem.

Edit: Ignore that - others type faster than me ;-)

pluckypigeon
June 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hi again celauran, thanks for all your help. No neither have I. My user name is root and then I enter the mySQL password and nothing happens. In mySQL I can login using the root and password but with new added users it won't let me in. Dont know if thats of any significance

I think phpmyadmin and mysql have different passwords

kapi
June 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
hi DDrichardson, no haven't had that it just seems to be that when I log in or try to that I get no response - not even a sorry mate you've got something wrong

Celauran
June 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM

I've never actually logged into phpmyadmin as root. The first thing I do on a new SQL install is set up my local users. If you've set up new MySQL users and aren't able to login with those, even via console, then that is troubling. Are you able to see the added users in mysql.user?

Celauran
June 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I think phpmyadmin and mysql have different passwords

No, phpmyadmin is just a front end for MySQL. The users are the same.

albinootje
June 5th, 2009, 09:06 PM
My user name is root and then I enter the mySQL password and nothing happens.

I've seen that problem before I think.
IIRC it worked for me to use the back button, and then forward, hit <enter> again.

And.. use the index.php in the url field.

albinootje
June 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
No, phpmyadmin is just a front end for MySQL. The users are the same.

Yes, but.. that also depends on the authentication method that you use. If you use phpmyadmin with .htaccess as authentication layer, then the username could be different, but that's not the default.

xavierp94
June 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Wow, I love Phpmyadmin. Its works fine with me. ;)

Faceless79
June 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I use phpmyadmin for my web site nearly everyday without fail

kapi
June 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
OK got into mySQLAdmin and made new user, gave all permissions and then logged out. Tried to log in as new user but denied access, maybe thats related in root it has:

root
@localhist

but in new user it has

kapi
@%

Celauran
June 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
maybe thats related in root it has:

root
@localhist

but in new user it has

kapi
@%

I'm sorry, I don't understand what the above means. Are you able to login as the new user via commandline and not via phpmyadmin? Do you see the new user when you query mysql.user?

kapi
June 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
no

bodhi.zazen
June 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM
phpmyadmin is in the repos or you can install from "source". Either way it takes me less then 5 minutes to get up and running.

I can not tell what problem you are having with it.

I would be more then happy to help if you would not mind stating the problem or perhaps stating what you have tried or perhaps a link to your other threads.

It the problem that you can not load the phpmyadmin page in your browser ?

If so, what url are you using ?

Is the problem that you can not log in ? are you using the correct user name and password ? Are you blocking cookies ?

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
the problem is this:

the login screen appears via http://localhost/phpmyadmin
but when I input the user name which is 'root' and the password which is the same as the password for mySQLAdmin then nothing happens. the screen just seems to refresh and nothing else.

I have also tried making a new mySQL account called kapi but when I try to log in to mySQLAdmin I get password error, strange!

maybe it's mySQL thats the problem

kapi

bodhi.zazen
June 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I believe the password for the log in screen is root's log in password.

Try first logging using the same username and log in you would to log into the server (ie your log in name).

If that fails, set a root password (not a mysql password) and log in the web server with root and root's log in password.

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I have also tried making a new mySQL account called kapi but when I try to log in to mySQLAdmin I get password error, strange!

mysql -u kapi -p
Does this work?

I believe the password for the log in screen is root's log in password.
It's the password you specify when you configure MySQL and is unrelated to Linux's root account.

If necessary, the MySQL root password can be reset thus:

mysqladmin -u root -p password new_password_here

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hi again,

right, when I enter the commands to alter the password I can create the account ok but when I try to get access it doesn't seem to work.

What I mean is when I try using mySQLAdmin and create a new user and password and try to access it via the terminal or the gui for mySQLadmin I get error

kapi@craig-laptop:~$ mysql -u kapi -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'kapi'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

billgoldberg
June 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I use it every day from six different machines and have never had a single problem. Really haven't a clue why it's giving you such a hard time.

Ditto.

The only problem I ever had with xammp on Linux, is that I had to change the apache config file before firefox would read my php code.

Phpmyadmin just worked like it should every time I installed it.

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
What I mean is when I try using mySQLAdmin and create a new user and password and try to access it via the terminal or the gui for mySQLadmin I get error

Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'kapi'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

What if you create the new user from mysql rather than mysqladmin? Login to MySQL as root, then

GRANT CREATE, DROP, SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE ON *.* TO 'kapi'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'whatever-password';

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Sorry tried adding the command but got

kapi@craig-laptop:~$ GRANT CREATE, DROP, SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE ON *.* TO 'kapi'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'dad52'
bash: GRANT: command not found
kapi@craig-laptop:~$

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
You need to first log in to MySQL as root. That was an SQL command I posted, not a shell command.

bodhi.zazen
June 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Those are mysql commands, you need to log onto mysql first.

mysql -u root -p

Then enter root's mysql password, you will get a mysql prompt

mysql>

If you do not know your root mysql password, you can reset it.

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Ok logged in to mysql and apparently changed the password, logged out and then tried to log back in to kapi with new password but was denied access

Enter password:

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Again as MySQL root, try:

UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = PASSWORD('new_password') WHERE user = 'kapi';

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
ran command but results still the same

Enter password:

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM
At this point I'd delete the user, flush privileges, and create a new user.

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
really appreciate your help - I deleted the kapi user using the mySQLadmin then flushed the privileges and made a new user called oz

tries accessing oz via terminal but again denied access

What gives? I must be doing something seriously wrong!

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
You're creating the new user from within MySQL using the GRANT... I listed earlier?

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM
done! user called oz now created and accessed in terminal,

tried the same in phpmyadmin login window but same original problem still remains, at least we're getting there.

Thanks

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
So both root and oz can login via mysql -u name -p? If so, have you tried logging into phpMyAdmin as root? If not, what errors does that generate?

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Yep both oz and root can be accessed via the terminal however neither are accessed vai the phpmyadmin login, I don't receive any errors it just sits there.

Celauran
June 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Is your browser set to accept cookies from 127.0.0.1 and/or localhost?

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
checked firefox preferences/ privacy and show cookies and the local host and 127.0.0.1 are both there, so yes I guess it accepts cookies ok

albinootje
June 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
checked firefox preferences/ privacy and show cookies and the local host and 127.0.0.1 are both there, so yes I guess it accepts cookies ok

I just installed mysql + phpmyadmin on my Jaunty desktop.
Set a password for mysql's root account (Tested it also with : mysql -u root -p).
Tried it in Firefox with http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ and I could log in a root right away.

Can you try with another browser ? For example galeon or konqueror ?

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
this is weird, I opened opera and input root and nothing happened but when I tried oz and the password the screen flickered and for a split second I had access and then it went back to the login screen again

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Still working away and wondered if anyone has any ideas on accessing phpmyadmin

albinootje
June 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Still working away and wondered if anyone has any ideas on accessing phpmyadmin

Here's a list of package names of browsers to test with,

*) text-based :

lynx
links
elinks
links2
w3m

*) gui-based :

galeon
epiphany-browser
midori
arora
dillo
seamonkey
netsurf
konqueror
chromium-browser

Please report the result you have with those.
And what about your apache log files ? Are those saying anything interesting ?

tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log
tail -f /var/log/apache2/access.log

kapi
June 8th, 2009, 11:09 PM
tried epiphany, seamonkey, firefox and opera and they all respond the same

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
kapi@craig-laptop:~$ tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log
[Mon Jun 08 09:30:22 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Jun 08 16:27:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/favicon.ico
[Mon Jun 08 19:47:21 2009] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Mon Jun 08 19:47:22 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Jun 08 19:48:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /usr/share/phpmyadmin/index
[Mon Jun 08 19:48:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/favicon.ico, referer: http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index
[Mon Jun 08 19:54:18 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/favicon.ico, referer: http://127.0.0.1/
[Mon Jun 08 23:14:51 2009] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Tue Jun 09 10:37:38 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations

nandemonai
June 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM
kapi@craig-laptop:~$ tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log
[Mon Jun 08 09:30:22 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Jun 08 16:27:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/favicon.ico
[Mon Jun 08 19:47:21 2009] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Mon Jun 08 19:47:22 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Jun 08 19:48:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /usr/share/phpmyadmin/index
[Mon Jun 08 19:48:21 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/favicon.ico, referer: http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index
[Mon Jun 08 19:54:18 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /var/www/favicon.ico, referer: http://127.0.0.1/
[Mon Jun 08 23:14:51 2009] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Tue Jun 09 10:37:38 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations

index.php

That's your problem right there it seems. Sounds more like a problem with apache that phpmyadmin or mysql.

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
sorry, so what do I do i am a bit new to this side of things

nandemonai
June 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
First, try http://localhost/phpmyadmin/index.php

Secondly, please post the output of this command:

cat /etc/apache2/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf

Something funky is going on. Apache is calling and not finding the right index file:

It should be looking at /usr/share/phpmyadmin/index.php

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Input the command as requested here is the output

kapi@craig-laptop:~$ cat /etc/apache2/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf
cat: /etc/apache2/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf: No such file or directory

Celauran
June 9th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Looks like there are phpmyadmin files missing. Purge, reinstall, and make sure you specify apache2 during the setup.

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
when setting up phpmyadmin should I select the dbconfig-common?

Celauran
June 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I don't have that installed, so it certainly isn't required. I just uninstalled and reinstalled phpmyadmin.

sudo aptitude install phpmyadmin

gave me everything I needed. The only post-install choice I had to make was which web server to install for.

albinootje
June 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
cat: /etc/apache2/conf.d/phpmyadmin.conf: No such file or directory

Are you using apache2 or lighttpd or the older ?

Please post the output of :

dpkg -l|grep apache
dpkg -l|grep http

What choices did you make during the installation of phpmyadmin ?
In Ubuntu Jaunty I got the choice to use it for apache2 and/or lighttpd.
Did you get any errors during the phpmyadmin installation ?

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
got this when tried to purge phpmyadmin

kapi@craig-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get purge phpmyadmin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
php5-gd libmcrypt4 php5-mcrypt dbconfig-common
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED
phpmyadmin*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

albinootje
June 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

Please close down Synaptic Package Manager, Add/Remove, Update Manager first, and then try again.

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM
sorry feel stupid,

right reloaded phpmyadmin, tried it in browser and still have same problem.

I selected apache2 when loading phpmyadmin as suggested

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
kapi@craig-laptop:~$ dpkg -l|grep apache
ii apache2 2.2.11-2ubuntu2 Apache HTTP Server metapackage
ii apache2-mpm-prefork 2.2.11-2ubuntu2 Apache HTTP Server - traditional non-threade
ii apache2-utils 2.2.11-2ubuntu2 utility programs for webservers
ii apache2.2-common 2.2.11-2ubuntu2 Apache HTTP Server common files
ii libapache2-mod-auth-mysql 4.3.9-11 Apache 2 module for MySQL authentication
ii libapache2-mod-php5 5.2.6.dfsg.1-3ubuntu4.1 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
ii rapache 0.7-0ubuntu4 apache2 graphical configuration tool

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
kapi@craig-laptop:~$ dpkg -l|grep http
ii apt-transport-https 0.7.20.2ubuntu6 APT https transport
ii libcrypt-ssleay-perl 0.57-1 Support for https protocol in LWP

kapi
June 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Am just going to uninstall everything and try XAMP

Ozor Mox
June 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I find it to be an excellent, easy to use piece of software. Admittedly though, I have only used it either with XAMPP for development or on an already configured server for deployment.

For PHP development, XAMPP is simply a fantastic product.