PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Hard Drive Switch

old-codger
June 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I have a Dell Dimension L800R with a 320 gig hard drive, with 3 something megs memory.I am running Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jacklope. I would like to pull this hard drive and use it in another computer that I just built. New computer has ASUS mother board with Amd Athlon XP processor and one gig of memory. I don't want to reinstall as I have Kubuntu running like I want and have photos and stuff don't want to lose. Also internet connection is slow and will be an all day thing to get updates and upgrades. So can I swap, and what problems might I run into.

The Old-Codger

ronparent
June 5th, 2009, 09:29 PM
It doesn't appear likely that if 9.04 ran on the Dell that it wouldn't run on the new board. I doubt that you would damge the data on the drive by trying it. Have fun.

DBrocks
June 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
You should be okay. If you did something like that with windows, you would run into all sorts of driver errors. Thats the great thing about ubuntu: one size fits all. All the drivers are included, so you shouldnt have any incompatibilities with that board.

old-codger
June 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hey big thanks guys. Gonna swap drives tonight, and will let you know how it went. Thanks again.

Old-Codger