PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install Backtrack 4 into its own dedicated Bootable Hard Drive partition???

-=Ghost=-
June 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hi Guys.

I have Dual Boot Sytem with Vista and Ubuntu 9.04 at present.

I want to create a third partition by shrinking the biggest partition I have.

And then install BT4-beta into the newly created third partition.

I have read a fair bit of Documentation on numerous web sites about how to do this correctly,
But admitedly I do not feel completely comfortable attempting such a possibly destructive exercise by using the tutorials that I have read so far.

This brings me to my main question!

Can anybody help me to correctly configure my existing HD partition to create, and then install BT4-Beta into A new Partition.

So I can then Boot into BT4-beta just as I do for Ubuntu.

I think this also will be a good learning curve for me to get into the nitty-gritty of using Ubuntu's command line/Shell,

I hope somebody can help me with this?

I look forward to any replies...

munky99999
June 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM
This is an ubuntu forum. So experienced people with installing this distro are going to be far and few inbetween. I'd suggest going to the backtrack forum for that.

As for the specifics. Ya it's going to be a fair bit of commandline because backtrack has no installer.

-=Ghost=-
June 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thank's monkey

I thought as much but I still like to give it a pop.

Like I said in my earlier post, It will be a good learning curve for me

Hilko
June 19th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I have the same question. I'd like to install Backtrack 3.
-=Ghost=- please let me know if you find out how to do it, or if you attempted it.

So how are you supposed to install it if there is no installer ?
Does anyone know if it might be easier to install it in a Virtual Machine ? And wich VM should i choose (I have never used one) and how do I do that ?

many thanks

Mia_tech
July 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm using virtual box to test it, in my opinion requires far less memory per virtual machine that vmware and I'm test driving BT4, it seems they changed the distro from a slax based to ubuntu.