PDA

View Full Version : Grrr... Audacity

Nathan_M
June 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I selected a sound clip in Audacity, amplified it, and just after it had finished, Audacity crashed and closed. That's normally a minor irritation, because I save my work a lot, and Audacity can recover projects anyway. I decided to recover, as I'd done a few minutes' work since I'd last saved. I recovered, saved the recovered project over the old one, then realised that the entire clip I was amplifying was gone, and by the time I'd discovered it, Audacity had already erased the 'orphaned' files. Now that section has to be re-recorded. Grrr.

liamnixon
June 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah, Audacity may be easy to use, but it's way destructive.

There's a bit more of a learning curve, but I highly recommend using Ardour (Jokosher is supposedly good and easy to use, too) instead for this very reason. Plus, only being able to apply effects directly to the clip as opposed to it just being a plugin is disaster waiting to happen. Especially when you want to remix something later, but you can't remove the compression/reverb/etc. It's made me want to end it all a few times. ;)

Nathan_M
June 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I've always ot around the effects problem by copying and muting (which isn't easy, because pasting always moves everything else forward). I've looked at Ardour, but this was just meant to be a quick and simple project.