PDA

View Full Version : Who's happy with Jaunty?

oxf
June 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I posted a separate thread on upgrading from Hardy to Jaunty. I also did a bit of reading around on the topic trying to get a sense of any problems I might encounter. Well of course I read about various problems, system freezing up etc etc etc. But again this can happen on any release right?

Result is now having burned the 9.04 Live CD I'm rather hesitant (and depressed) to go ahead and install Jaunty. So I'd like to hear from people who are happy with Jaunty and feel positive about it!

Vegabondsx
June 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm fairly happy with it. The only thing I didn't like was that my wireless broke and I had to connect to ethernet to run update and fix it. Because that there are some nice improvements overall, especially if you use GNOME.

peakshysteria
June 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I posted a separate thread on upgrading from Hardy to Jaunty. I also did a bit of reading around on the topic trying to get a sense of any problems I might encounter. Well of course I read about various problems, system freezing up etc etc etc. But again this can happen on any release right?

Result is now having burned the 9.04 Live CD I'm rather hesitant (and depressed) to go ahead and install Jaunty. So I'd like to hear from people who are happy with Jaunty and feel positive about it!

Best release yet. Upgraded smooth n'sweet from 8.10. I love Jaunty. Running it on all four machines in the household.

The Real Dave
June 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I recently made the switch from Hardy to Jaunty, and of course, went the wrong way about it :confused: I just did a fresh install. Im now bringing back all my programs, and getting things set up the way I like em. I must say though, that when installing Jaunty, I had fewer problems than when initially setting up Hardy. Hardy gave me quite a few driver problems, and networking never really worked right. Jaunty however, worked perfectly out of the box, with full Graphics Acceleration. Also, it fitted in perfectly with my existing Windows network.

A small, but to me significant improvement in Jaunty, the desktop wall effect. When switching between workspaces, only your open windows move. Menu panels remain in place. Its a trivial thing, but flicking workspaces in Hardy used give me sea sickness :lolflag:

Also, a final note about my upgrade to Jaunty. The initial updates were around 50-100Mb. The rest of my programs, 200Mb. A total of around 300Mb to download after install. Compare that to the 400Mb of pure updates for Hardy. To those with strict ISP download limits, thats a good improvement :D

Kareeser
June 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I also had a good experience with Jaunty. I even have one of the ill-fated Intel 8xx cards, and I still think Jaunty's a good stable release.

Had to upgrade to the newest 2.6.30 kernel to get proper flash playback, but other than that, good good.

Nathan_M
June 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I was very happy with Jaunty. Smoothest yet. I decided to do a fresh install, because I didn't want any old configurations to hamper Jaunty's out-of-the-box setup, and I have a seperate home partition which made that easier (although I backed up and deleted all files and folders which began with a . to make sure all configurations were reset, then brought back some as I needed them). It was perfect. I did have to connect by ethernet cable to get my wireless working, but Jaunty prompted me to do all that, and made it really simple.

CJ56
June 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Liking it a lot: 64-bit version and ext4 & all is fast & (so far) steady as a rock

I also particularly like the New Wave theme - first Ubuntu desktop that looks grown-up straight out of the box... ;)

Very easy to install, too (AMD64x2; GeForce 7300GT) & everything recognised without any hassles

Definitely worth a try...!

empty_spaces
June 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I have Intel GMA965, and for me, Jaunty is the best Ubuntu yet.

Here's are some things that have worked better for me over previous versions.

1) Compiz - Initially the cube was not the smoothest, but after enabling UXA and installing the latest stable X.org drivers from the X-updates PPA, the cube is the smoothest it has ever been. I absolutely need Compiz as it allows me to switch easily between Jaunty and my full-screen XP virtualbox using the Scale plugin.

2) Suspend and Hibernate work better than ever for me.

3) Dual Monitors - Although the "Clone Screens" is still not up to the mark, Extended Monitors works perfectly without having to restart X.

chriskin
June 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
sound works at last (both pulse and alsa)

that talks for itself :)

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
me.

automaton26
June 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I installed Kubuntu 9.04 x64 straight on top of a new Core i7 Vista x64 machine. No major problems - although a few things have inevitably changed when you go to a new version. I also upgraded a Kubuntu 8.10 installation, on an 9-year-old Compaq laptop. No problems there either - so I'm very happy.

Given 9.04 has been out for over a month, it's quite unlikely that you'll have a problem that no-one else has had, so long as your hardware is still supported. It's almost always just a case of searching these forums or googling for the answers.

I'd suggest that you back up all your stuff, try the LiveCD thoroughly, and then finally try a fresh install.

peakshysteria
June 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Remember: Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading)

You cannot upgrade directly from 8.04 to 9.04. Clean install or upgrade to 8.10 before upgrading to 9.04. Upgrading should go smooth. Two upgrades should be done in aprox 50 min.

corney91
June 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'm happy with it - everything works quicker and smoother than I expected except my MP3 Player doesn't connect but then an upgrade fixed it, now an upgrade broke it :p C'est la Vie :D

infoseeker
June 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I installed Kubuntu Jaunty 9.04...absolutely awesome. Stable as a rock. KDE 4.2.4 best KDE ever.

Firefox crashes intermittently, but now trying Google Chrome.

HappyFeet
June 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I think Jaunty is the best OS I've ever used. No complaints here.

pjalegria
June 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Iam :D

Dark Aspect
June 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I think Jaunty is the best OS i've ever used. No complaints here.

Agreed, overall that is, there are still some other Linux distros that I am quite fond of.

pelle.k
June 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Well of course I read about various problems, system freezing up etc etc etc. But again this can happen on any release right?
Yep. I've had every release since hardy hard lock my computer. You know what it was? The ethernet driver (e1000), for my "Intel Corporation 82566MC Gigabit". Didn't realize that until i had to begin using wireless internet instead of wired.
And then there's this firefox 3.X "bug". It would seem firefox is rather slow in Jaunty for many people. People say it's a combination of poor "profiling" (whatever that means) for the linux version, and a sqlite "bug" that's apparently fixed in Karmic. If you run an nvidia card, the 185 series video drivers in Karmic should supposedly also speed firefox up.

But of course Jaunty has it warts. Most of the time though, it's crappy hardware that does it.
Overall, i couldn't be happier. I use XP for gaming, i can't stand Vista or windows 7, and OSX is too "rigid" (and lacks the open source smorgasbord of software i like so much).
Jaunty is the best release in a long time. I would advice you to reinstall rather than upgrade it though, unless you're running a completely vanilla installation (no foreign .debs installed, or PPA repos in sources.list).

Paul41
June 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'm using it and no problems here.

ghindo
June 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I did a fresh install of 64-bit 9.04 on ext4 and so far, so good. I do have Intel graphics, so graphical performance isn't the best. Other than that, 9.04 has been incredibly stable and fast.

johnnyhop
June 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I'm happy now after a clean install. Originally upgraded from 8.10 which was an upgrade from 8.04. A few things didn't work right, wouldn't go into screensaver or monitor suspend. The clean install fixed that and I couldn't be more pleased. It has locked up only once on me since the mid May clean install.

ralley4
June 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I've recently built a new 64bit machine. Not really the latest cutting edge hardware, but a significant upgrade for me, nonetheless. I decided to try the latest OSes, namely, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Jaunty.

So far, I like both, and if I can figure out how to get my wireless usb working with ubuntu, I'll be dual-booting.

Cheers!

Ac1ds0ld13r
June 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Jaunty is my first Linux OS, and I love it. I've read about a lot of the problems people have been having with it, but I haven't had but a few small issues:

Wireless USB card didn't work (that sorted itself out)
Jaunty decided to use my onboard graphics card instead of the PCI one (again, sorted itself out after I installed the drivers, which Jaunty found on its own)

Other than that its been a great change. :)

My ONLY real complaint is that some of the programs I run (World of Warcraft and Second Life) seem to be more trouble than they're worth to get to run. Fighting with Wine for WoW is not at all appealing, and the SL viewer is still in Beta so after 20-30 minutes it crashes my computer.

markharding557
June 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
i rate jaunty as average with some bugs

weisel
June 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I haven't had the first problem with jaunty after upgrading from 8.10.It seems to me firefox is faster on jaunty than 8.10. Not as fast as google chrome on windows but close.

stwschool
June 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
And then there's this firefox 3.X "bug". It would seem firefox is rather slow in Jaunty for many people. People say it's a combination of poor "profiling" (whatever that means) for the linux version, and a sqlite "bug" that's apparently fixed in Karmic.

Alternatively, use SwiftFox. It's Firefox, recompiled to be blazing fast. It's close enough to Chromium speed for me, with all that firefox goodness. Get the developer nightly tools thingy to enable non 3.5 plugins to work.

Jackelope
June 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I'm thrilled with Jaunty! This is the best release yet IMHO. OK, so I've only been running the Jackalope since 3 hours ago but its so fast on my old P4 compared to Hardy. Uses 150 MBs of ram idle on a 512 machine when Hardy used 275. I don't think you'll regret the upgrade!

@ stwschool: Swiftfox gave me compatibility errors with some ad-ons do to newer code than the standard Fox...something to think about before switching.

stwschool
June 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM
My ONLY real complaint is that some of the programs I run (World of Warcraft and Second Life) seem to be more trouble than they're worth to get to run. Fighting with Wine for WoW is not at all appealing, and the SL viewer is still in Beta so after 20-30 minutes it crashes my computer.

Wine: I don't fight much with it. I got the latest development version from wineHQ (a simple case of adding deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt jaunty main #WineHQ - Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" to my Software Sources (System -> Administration -> Software Sources -> 3rd Party -> Add off the top of my head) when I first installed. Then, I got winetricks and added directx9, vcrun2005, msxml, fonts, ie6 and a couple of other bits and bobs, and it all works 90% of the time.

On the rare occasion a game or other program doesn't work, it's usually a quick dll hunt away. The trick usually is to use terminal and go to the folder the game is in and type wine gamename.exe and you'll get a couple of .dll files mentioned. Google those, put them in windows/system32 and bob's usually your uncle.

HappyFeet
June 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I don't think you'll regret the upgrade!

For the love of God, consider a fresh install. ):P

stwschool
June 6th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I'm thrilled with Jaunty! This is the best release yet IMHO. OK, so I've only been running the Jackalope since 3 hours ago but its so fast on my old P4 compared to Hardy. Uses 150 MBs of ram idle on a 512 machine when Hardy used 275. I don't think you'll regret the upgrade!

@ stwschool: Swiftfox gave me compatibility errors with some ad-ons do to newer code than the standard Fox...something to think about before switching.
As I mentioned, using the nightly tools gets round most of those problems.

keplerspeed
June 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I know some people have had a bad experience, but for me, everything has been as easy as always. Mainly because I built a computer with good linux supported components, such as nvidia 9400GT... laptops, especially new ones, sometimes arent as co-opperative.

stwschool
June 6th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I know some people have had a bad experience, but for me, everything has been as easy as always. Mainly because I built a computer with good linux supported components, such as nvidia 9400GT... laptops, especially new ones, sometimes arent as co-opperative.
My machine with a NVIDIA card is much much smoother (apart from a problem which has just cropped up and I can't work out for the life of me) than my ATI machine, so yeah you're right that hardware choices make a big difference.

HappyFeet
June 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM
laptops, especially new ones, sometimes arent as co-opperative.

I hear ya. But thank god the cheap laptop my girl just picked up is 100% ubuntu friendly. She's dual booting with vista only because of 1 game. I told her, "NO SURFING IN WINDOWS!" and she agrees. If you're going to have any real face time with the net, linux is a much better choice.

Scruffynerf
June 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'm liking it on my old machine.

dspari1
June 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Jaunty doesn't play nice with wireless usb Logitech mice. The work around is logging out and logging in again every time I turn on the computer.

It's a pretty nasty bug and has not yet been fixed.

kc3
June 6th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Working great but I haven't tried any other version except for 8.10 in a virtual machine, 9.04 is what I decided to use for a fresh install, works great :D

DeadSuperHero
June 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I'm certainly enjoying Jaunty on the laptop. I like the notification system, they're like squishy little bubbles. Like Growl, except you can't really do anything with them.

I think they're rad. Visually appealing, and it helps my A.D.D. When an ex of mine starts talking to me, I can read important things and still not miss a thing she's saying, in real time! Yay!

It's pretty stable, my only real disappointment is the new Intel driver, which is horrible on mom's laptop.

mister_k81
June 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Out of all the versions of Ubuntu I've used (Feisty, Gutsy, Hardy and Ibex), I can honestly say that I've been pleased with Jaunty up to this point. I haven't run into any real issues yet that made me regret switching from Ibex; it's been a pretty solid experience so far.

siimo
June 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Jaunty never really worked for me (mainly issues with my HP printer and webcam). So after 2 years of using ubuntu I made the move to SUSE 10.1.

The Real Dave
June 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I told her, "NO SURFING IN WINDOWS!" and she agrees. If you're going to have any real face time with the net, linux is a much better choice.

I completely agree :D Did the same thing with my brother. I actually disabled Internet access, only Intranet for Windows :D You want the net, you use Ubuntu :D

oxf
June 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
For the love of God, consider a fresh install. ):P

I should have been more specific! I was using "upgrade" in the sense of "change to" Not upgrade to intrepid and then to Jaunty. I personally always prefer fresh installs anyway and have already burnt the 9.04. Just waiting to do the deed!

sanderella
June 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM
ME! I'm a non-geek old lady, and I've never had any problems with installs or upgrades. :KS

peakshysteria
June 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I should have been more specific! I was using "upgrade" in the sense of "change to" Not upgrade to intrepid and then to Jaunty. I personally always prefer fresh installs anyway and have already burnt the 9.04. Just waiting to do the deed!

Then you should be good to go:D Let hear what you think of it.

demosthene1
June 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I installed it on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5917 laptop and after a few minor tweaks it runs like a dream.

Tweaks

1) I use Blender and had some issues with the display, but when I launch Blender with this command it runs fine:
sh -c "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender-bin"

2) Better fan control when I add this to grub kernel line:
acpi_osi="Linux"

3) Installed all the multimedia packages and DVD codecs.

For DVD movies:
sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

I use MPlayer Movie Player.

Flash, MP3, etc:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Ms_Angel_D
June 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I haven't had any issues with jaunty, everything works fantastically. I initially upgraded from 8.10 because I was too impatient to wait for my disk in the mail..lol, and the upgrade went quite smooth.

Yesterday though I had to back everything up and re-install windows just to flash my BIOS (http://www.thedallemagnes.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=231&Itemid=1), but then I wiped windows right back off when it was done and did fresh install. Everything is running great.

Have you tried Play On linux (http://www.playonlinux.com) I got WOW working quite easily with it.

Viva
June 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Me me me. Jaunty is the best OS I've used. I recommend a fresh install

jolilly
June 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I've been using Jaunty (64bit) for about a month and have had very few issues (I did a clean install). I think its the best Ubuntu release yet (I've been using Ubuntu since Gutsy). I did try ext4 but ran into filesystem corruption after about a week, so I had to reinstall under ext3 and have had no problems since. I do have an nvidia graphics card (7950 GTX) so graphics performance has not been an issue for me (I installed 180.51 nvidia drivers).

One thing nice about Jaunty (among many things of course), is that the sun-java6-plugin package is native 64bit (update 13).

rax_m
June 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'm finding it generally faster, more reliable and better looking. So pretty happy overall.

Viva
June 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
ME! I'm a non-geek old lady, and I've never had any problems with installs or upgrades. :KS

Always nice to see mums using linux:D

Einsamkeit
June 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hmm quite happy, of course there are some flaws here and there, but most of them can be worked around quite easily. Began using UNR on my netbook then loved it so much that I installed Ubuntu on my desktop computer as well, had no real problems on the desktop but a few minor ones on the laptop.

billgoldberg
June 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Greatest release yet in my opinion.

Fast, stable and I just love the new notify system.

This is mostly a support site, so it's normal to see lots of people having trouble with the new version. It's the same with every release.

joyneo04
June 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am very much happy....nice looks...

collinp
June 7th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Loving Jaunty. Very nice interface improvements, new notification system is a plus. EXT4 support is also a plus. Overall a great release.

sn0m
June 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I've got intelgm vgd, so for me is back to hardy till they fix those gd bugs.

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
very happy with jaunty.....very nice....

whole.grains
June 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
<-- Another happy user.

Polygon
June 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
not me. removing user and developer choice with the new notification system, it completely broke printing for me which should work perfectly as I have an HP printer, i get random freezes (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/355155) that no ubuntu developer or anyone else has bothered to even triage yet, making my computer basically unusable

carlb
June 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I installed a version of Ubuntu called Ultimate Edition first which was an 8.04 release and then upgraded it to 9.04. That worked well for me since it gave me all the applications I wanted in an integrated package and the latest release of Ubuntu.

Overall, the 9.04 release is quicker to boot and seems to be generally faster. It is however unstable. It will randomly freeze. The mouse will operate but nothing else will respond. I find that doing a reset of the system does not always bring the system back up cleanly as the wireless network will come up disconnected.

I do not know what is causing the freezes/lockups but it appears widespread across different hardware implementations.

I guess I would say I am not happy but I can get by with the problem until it gets resolved.

SIGTERMer
June 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
still using 8.04lts
i hate upgrading (low internet speed)

oxf
June 8th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Then you should be good to go:D Let hear what you think of it.

Well I will as soon as I am in a position to give an opinion!

It installed without problem, looked fine and even detected my rather obscure wireless card without any problem. Then I shut it down and went off to lunch.. Thats where the problems started.

I get this error message on boot-up "MS BIOS bug 8254 timer unable to connect to IO-APIC" and a totally blank screen :frown: (even though it obviously boots because I hear the ubuntu boot music). I never had this under Hardy and there is a sugestion I might need to flash my BIOS. I started a seperate thread to try and fix this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1181067

So any opinion will have to wait until I resolve this...if I even manage to...

eolson
June 8th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Well, It's kinda like this .... On my two desktops it's been a breeze. Everything works perfectly.

My laptop it a different story. Sound and WiFi work fine, surprisingly easy as a matter of fact. Problem is the accelerated vido drivers for my antiquated laptop are not available (yet), so scrubbed Jaunty on it and went back to 8.04. If it wasn't for weather maps etc. I'd have Jaunty on everything. It may be that the drivers are available from someplace or there's a work around, but I gave up being a "geek" 15 years ago, so took the easy way out.

Redundant Username
June 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM
It doesn't perfom as well as Intrepid. It can hardly handle more than a dvd, before that I could watch videos in 720p with my GMA 950.

geekygirl
June 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Very happy little Vegemite with Jaunty here.

All bar one or two things (that I don't use anyway) everything works (after a kernel patch that is :p )

It boots a lot faster than Intrepid, and, well, geee...I am just in love with the Jackalope ):P

Wiebelhaus
June 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I am!

open_coder
June 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I like Jaunty. I think its better than Ibex. But when I built my computer I did heavy research to make sure I had well supported hardware in Linux. So I almost never notice any problems from one version to another.

gashcr
June 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Actually, it's been my best ubuntu experience this far

ekss
June 11th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I am :D

treesurf
June 11th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I have one of the not so fortunate Intel graphic cards. The best solution for me was to revert back to the old driver, which was very easy, and then I was running smoothly. Jaunty is my favorite Ubuntu yet (been with it since dapper).

madjr
June 11th, 2009, 04:37 AM
happy with jaunty, except ATI open drivers have terribly slow 3d acceleration (2d is not bad thou)

can't play most simple 3d games (thinking of reverting, but i use kde4.2...)

i hope the open drivers mature by karmic

dspisak
June 11th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I am not happy with Jaunty. Ibex worked great for me. I should have stayed with it. Jaunty has so many freezes (mouse freezes on screen, keyboard no longer functions, clock stops) that it is unusable. I will go back to xpPro and try Windows 7 64-bit until someone fixes ubuntu. It is inexcusable that there would be a mouse problem after programmers have had 20 to 25 years to perfect mouse routines (if indeed that is the problem). Too bad. I really enjoyed ubuntu.

dizee
June 11th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Jaunty would be a perfect release for me if the sound worked, but I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. It works fine for a while but then starts stuttering. Seems it's a common problem. Have tried removing pulse audio but it didn't work.

If only for that I would love this release. I really want to, but maybe I'll have to move on until Karmic is released.

BlazeFire247
June 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I actually love Jaunty, but it's my first try at Ubuntu, so I can't really tell. But here's a good thing: In my try at Ubuntu, nothing ever stressed me out. At Windows, the lag and everything just makes me do a facepalm in front of my computer.

pbpersson
June 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I have done a fresh install on two machines with Jaunty, no major problems except I cannot get WPA wireless working on the laptop. For the time being I am just using a long network cable.

I have not yet upgraded my main desktop to Jaunty.

Flag
June 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
So happy I installed Karmic alpha to keep track of Ubuntu and installed Arch as default.;)

modean987
June 11th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I prefer KDE. When Hardy Heron support stopped a week or so ago I decided to upgrade. Kubuntu 9.04 turned out to be absolutely terrible. It was slow, it was buggy, the desktop kept crashing and redrawing itself, it was missing key-components I'd grown accustomed to, and was basically a bad experience all-around. I decided to try Ubuntu 9.04 instead.

Not wanting to blow away my current KDE install on the Toshiba laptops, I purchased two Acer D150-1165's and put Netbook Remix on them. Wow! What a great little distro! I did have some problems with the wireless card, but the problems were mostly my misunderstanding of how the Network Connections program works, which, BTW, really needs to be re-written so the interface works consistently in the IPv4 Settings tab -- either make it so the data is accepted with clicking in another box, or tabbing to another box, but don't make it erase the data if you do it one way in one box and the other way in a different box.

Anyway, I'm liking UNR a lot. I did try the full-blown desktop Ubuntu on the little beasts and they didn't seem have any problem with it, but the UNR just looks better on the 10-inch screens.

Also, my wife also uses KDE on her Toshiba 17" laptop. I showed her UNR on the Acer I'm putting together for her and she also likes how simple and elegant the desktop layout appears to be.

Nice job, Canonical!

-Al

longtom
June 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM
When Hardy Heron support stopped a week or so ago ...

It did? Now that is unexpected news. Any writeups on that? I always thaught that
Point releases will cease once Ubuntu 10.04 is released.

Well - that's what they say here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseSchedule)

Please advice...

ukripper
June 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Best release so far with EXT4 GNOME!

Dougie187
June 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I really like it no problems here, with jaunty 64bit on an ext4.

I am surprised to hear so many people complain about it.

Anzan
June 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I waited until last week to upgrade several boxes to 9.04. These are all HP Slimlines with Nvidia. The upgrade went flawlessly and the kernel modules were auto-installed during the reboot.

BurnGates
June 11th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm a total n00b so my perspective is probably only of interest to other new Linux users.

I'm pleasantly surprised by Jaunty. Easily created a dual install - something I've never attempted before.

takes some getting used to and overcoming my initial Micro-**** suspicion of the whole thing. Still making mistakes and am confused as hell, but I'm learning all the time (with the help of Ubuntu forums). Starting to actually believe that, eventually, Ubuntu will be a viable replacement for XP-pro. I guess I'll really find out when I start my new job in September.

Only real worry is the whole issue about 'unmounting USB HDD' i.e. is it REALLY safe to remove when LED is still on???

Therion
June 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I'm loving Jaunty. Huuugely so.

Of course I just installed Karmic Koala (alpha-something-or-other release) and I'm already loving that too!

Marky Mark
June 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I am too. Two pcs and a hp2133 all worked ootb. With the netbook, it shipped with SUSE which I hated, I put Mandriva One on which was OK but Jaunty is the best. My gf loves it too.

MyM

modean987
June 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
It did? Now that is unexpected news. Any writeups on that?

Please advice...

Rats! I've got Hardy on one Toshiba and Gutsy on another. I meant Gutsy (/http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-7.10-eol).

EOL was 18 April, but they left the repositories up for a while and suddenly they went 404.

Sorry about that! :D

-Al

mxboy15u
June 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Jaunty is going excellent right now for me. I have everything set up perfectly and it seems to be rock solid stable. I doubt I will even upgrade to anything else unless I abolsutely have to (and I never will).

raymondh
June 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I am.

Also happy with an 8.04 derivative and 8.10 (all running regularly with no trouble)

Ewingo401
June 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I am extremely happy with Jaunty. It could very well be the first release that I stick with after the next one is released. Barring some major new feature I don't see where Karmic can improve my experience enough to warrant a new install.

Shea7993
July 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Well I have just got into ubuntu with jaunty, havent used a previous release, but if my comment is anything to go by, its that its rather perfect... (in the sense that its way beter than windows will ever be on numerous standards lol) seriously, no problems whatsoever, although lastnight transferring a 58gb file over to another HDD i experianced a decrease in performance to a point that it froze and had to restart my box (aparantly it was cause my partition was full), but other than that in the past 6months of experimenting with ubuntu 9.04 i havent had a single shred of issues, and judging by majority of replies id say go for the upgrade =]

heyyy
July 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
everything except some minor details worked just fine
im very happy with it:)

WorfSOM
July 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I am extremely happy with Jaunty, can't say i have experienced any problems at all.

epicoder
July 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Me, except I was suddenly disconnected from my wireless and I still haven't got it working again.

HappyFeet
July 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Jaunty is going excellent right now for me. I have everything set up perfectly and it seems to be rock solid stable. I doubt I will even upgrade to anything else unless I abolsutely have to (and I never will).

You'll still be using jaunty 6 years from now?

BigSilly
July 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Using Jaunty 64 bit, and no problems at all. It's fast, stable, and utterly brilliant for me. Very happy indeed. :)

windows-killer
July 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
am somewhat happy with.

the good: its fast! and easier to use than previous versions of ubuntu

the bad: randomly freezes or crashes without any any reason...is ubuntu turning into windows???](*,):roll:[-X

over all : I love it

Stan_1936
July 20th, 2009, 02:29 AM
am somewhat happy with.

the good: its fast! and easier to use than previous versions of ubuntu

the bad: randomly freezes or crashes without any any reason...is ubuntu turning into windows???](*,):roll:[-X

over all : I love it

Problem 1:
I too have the random freezing...usually occurs about 15 minutes after startup(64-bit Jaunty). Hard reboot required, only for it to occur again.

Problem 2:
I have the 8254 timer error at startup. If I had known about this, I would have never moved away from Windows on this machine(3 years old AMD 64 3200+). I guess some hardware is just not meant for anything but Windows.

Problem 3:
Beep at restart and shutdown.

Ubuntu 9.04 is just not going to work on this machine. And it's supposed to appeal to novices for its simplicity.....HA!

To answer the OP, I am not happy with Jaunty. I wonder how many people who feel the same will actually post in this thread.

Eviltechie
July 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I did a fresh install because I foobared my previous install and things were just too weird for me. I happy although there is this bug with the live cds that cause some program to try to launch infinitely thus rendering it useless. (I had to pick install from the boot menu, not from the desktop to get it to work)

tr4nce
July 20th, 2009, 02:43 AM
After a lot of work under the hood, I can say that I am happy with Jaunty... Well it's not purely Jaunty you know, my installed distro has the Karmic Koala kernel, other xorg files from PPA's and last, but not least, a lot of luuuuuuuuuuuuv with the configuration files :D

Anyway, I am still looking foward to install Karmic in October because the current status of 9.10 looks a little bit like "we are testing new stuff so don't complain if we blow up your computer" (grub2, new gdm, changes in kernel, etc).. Perhaps later I would love to try out Karmic, but now i'm not into the "experimental" mood.

L815
July 20th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Jaunty 64bit & I'm happy with it; after adding kernel 2.6.31rc3 & xorg-edgers ppa.

It runs fairly well. No issues with drivers (that I've noticed). Plays video great, as well as audio. I just wish it was a bit 'snappier' as vista is on this hardware. Even with no effects, applications feel sluggish.

spike_naples
July 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Ubuntu's every release will always have some kinks in it but will be reasonably productive right after installation.

I am happy with Jaunty. I experienced some bugs with the sound and video at first and was always happy to discover that for most every update that came along there were real fixes.

Now how can MS Windows beat that? Ubuntu has a bigger legion of users who offer their expertise and advice for free and for the love of open source!

lukeiamyourfather
July 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I've been extremely impressed with the last few version of Ubuntu and most of all Jaunty. Out of three computers I use between work and home two of them are dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows (some Windows only applications still needed) and one is Ubuntu only. Maybe in a few years they will all be using Ubuntu!

binbash
July 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I am not happy, and mostly on my computers i switched to Karmic.

kpkeerthi
July 20th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I was not happy until I upgraded to kernel 2.6.30 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7637033#post7637033)

Czarli
July 20th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I am happy with it. :KS In fact, this is what I recommend to people who want to install Ubuntu in their system because there are added features in Jaunty that are not available in Hardy (although my friend said that Intrepid and Jaunty has almost the same features).

Still, I won't hesitate to ugrade once v9.10 is released. I am excited to see what features will be present in the newer version.

toupeiro
July 20th, 2009, 08:41 AM
No real complaints. It's been rock solid for me, and I love the boot improvements.

SirBismuth
July 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Running vanilla 9.04 at work, and Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.2 at home, quite happy with both. Both systems are P4s, but they just hum along quite happily. :D

I always do a fresh install, and usually am up and running quickly. I love the relative seamlessness of doing this. And have only seen improvements since 8.04.

B

ramnarayan
July 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Happy , not really

Its not the best
No WVDIAL by default,
support for usb serial wireless devices was dropped and then in a later kernal readded
ATI drivers suck - even though there was a pretty good option in between for a ATI graphics card ,manager which works swell in Sabayon
Firefox freezes
Some hardware that other Linux's support does not work here ??

However look forward to more improvements in the next and in the mean time have 7.10 as my backup

pt123
July 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I just switched a few days ago and I happy. I usually wait for a few months after a new release before fully switching. A bug that plagued Gnome-do in Ibex has disappeared.

And now I can use this awesome application as the repos. is only for Jaunty.
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/07/getting-things-done-with-linux-todo-list-programs.ars

oxf
July 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I never realised this topic would run and run since I posted it!

But since I installed it I've been quite satisfied, it runs very nicely in fact. I had hoped there would be better detection for the BC43xx wireless cards but thats not difficult to get around. There is a slight bug in Jaunty when printing from Evince apparently. I had some problems with that and after googling around discovered its a known bug. Apart from that it runs pretty slick for me:D

MonsterTrimble
July 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I did a fresh reinstall on the weekend due to an ill-fated dive into Kubuntu Karmic Koala Alpha 1 & 2 - let my suffering be your warning: Do not do an early upgrade until they get deep into Beta. Then avoid the rush at release!

Thoughts:
1) Quick boot times. It took about 4 or 5 times as long on Alpha Karmic.
2) Hiding icons - I severely dislike having to see my icons out there, wasting valuable screen space. I know my browser is going - I see it! Thankfully Karmic & the new KDE solves that.
3) No Kopete-facebook plugin. Karmic has it, Jaunty doesn't. Huge problem for an IM addict like moi.
4) Amarok 2 - still sucks the resources. Thankfully there is a (non-official Ubuntu) repos with Amarok 1.4 available.
5) The dark (Obsidian?) theme is very cool, but doesn't always work properly with Kopete and others.

Overall I like Jaunty, although I'm really looking forward to the improved KDE apps - k4b anyone?