PDA

View Full Version : Will this be the end of my Romance with Linux?

wPwLUi3N
June 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I recently started working in a mobile software company.

Guess what? I am being separated from LINUX, which is making me so angry and sad.

More unfortunate is that all the company has project for is the god damn Iphone. No surprise that the apple iphone SDK is designed to be "MAC Exclusive." Forgot Linux, not even cursed windows is given an option.

Just out of engineering my life which 99.9% revolved around LINUX is now forced on the Propriety apple crap and sadly I can't do anything about it.

In time of this deep recession I don't have many option and I have few stomach to feed.

A week has passed and I have to work on MAC mini and it is getting a reason for depression. Every day feel like a torture. It feels like something deep inside my soul is being morphed which is causing pain. Its is equivalent of my identity being stolen from me. Part of me I am deeply in love being cut from my inside.

I don't blame it on APPLE, I blame it on people who buy those IPHONES. Technology without ideology no matter how advance, will only doom the human race in long term.

Linux is not just an operating system for me. Its a way of life which matched my ideology and values.

Why is that Linux which is the best out there, don't dominate the world outside university lab and true coder's home.

Is this my destiny? Is this how a engineers romance with perfect software ends?

Eisenwinter
June 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
...which 99.9% revolved around LINUX is now forced on the Propriety apple crap and sadly I can't do anything about it.
You could always uh... quit your job.

Skripka
June 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Or he could use OSX at work...and Linux at home.

eldragon
June 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
learn the ways of the iphone and release an app that will allow you to install third party software through ssh ;)

LepeKaname
June 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I know your feeling... Maybe that knowledge will be useful to be applied in some open source project (for Linux, of course) that involves Iphone or Mac stuff... who knows...

Eisenwinter
June 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Or he could use OSX at work...and Linux at home.
That's a possibility, too, of course.

50words
June 5th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Technology without ideology no matter how advance, will only doom the human race in long term.

What.

wPwLUi3N
June 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM

We often don't have that luxury in developing world.:( . More true in the time of recession.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
As Skripka said, nobody prevents you from using Linux at home. So what's the big deal. Whatever Linux distro you are using, it's just an OS, i think you are being a little over the top here. And just because *nix works for someone doesn't mean it has to work for everyone else. So no one cares about world domination. just my opinion.

wPwLUi3N
June 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
As Skripka said, nobody prevents you from using Linux at home. So what's the big deal. Whatever Linux distro you are using, it's just an OS, i think you are being a little over the top here. And just because *nix works for someone doesn't mean it has to work for everyone else. So no one cares about world domination. just my opinion.

Probably you are right, maybe I got a little carried away. Don't know whether it was love for Linux or anger for Apple.

Though I am glad I wrote this. I am already feeling better. This post was a outburst of feeling simmering inside me for a week.

Now reading my own post after some time, I am feeling a little embarrassed. I should keep myself from getting topple over. Luckily I have this great community which tell me when I am getting bit overboard.

conundrumx
June 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
OSX is a great operating system and if you stop being so...RMSy about it. ;)

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Now reading my own post after some time, I am feeling a little embarrassed. I should keep myself from getting topple over. Luckily I have this great community which tell me when I am getting bit overboard.
You'll be ok. These types of ideologies are important to a lot of people. Just always remember that an ideology about how a computer is used is not important enough to lose your house and family over. Ideology does not equal morality. You can work for a company that programs for iPhones without being an immoral person.

Tipped OuT
June 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
If you're having a "romance" with a kernel, I think you need help. :p

bpalone
June 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
View it all as a learning opportunity. No OS is perfect, including Linux. I still end up back in ******* from time to time, but my preferred OS is Linux. For example, last night I was back in *******, because I could look through a bunch of old floppies faster. It take for ever to mount a floppy in Linux by comparison.

So, take a chill pill, and enjoy the learning experience. You may discover some really cool way to accomplish something that will transfer to Linux.

wPwLUi3N
June 6th, 2009, 05:13 AM
OSX is a great operating system and if you stop being so...RMSy about it. ;)

As a programmer I can't honestly second that. Interoperability problems are massive. They even make windows look like a heaven.

CJ Master
June 6th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Does your wife know about your secret romace with Linux? :o

racerraul
June 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I support windows servers at work and use Linux at home...
sure I wish I could use Linux and be supporting Linux for a living.

But I certainly don't loose any sleep, feel trapped, or foresee impending doom looming over society's future, over my current work situation.

And when things at work get me frustrated... I look to get away with the family.
That's what is really important... Tomorrow, I go to a BMX track with the boys... can't wait.

Linux is cool and all that... but it sure isn't THAT big a deal, as long as I have a computer to use, I'll find room for it... but that is as far as I go with it lol...

DeadSuperHero
June 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I loved Linux too. We've been growing apart, she and I.

She currently is demanding the custody of my six children we had together, and is charging a third of my income. I'm distraught at losing her, but that's life somtimes.

I guess I'll go hang out with my fat unattractive girlfriend, Windows.

papangul
June 6th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Probably you are right, maybe I got a little carried away...

I don't think you got carried away. The post reflects the authentic you. Maybe many others can adjust more easily in this kind of a situation but you can't. If this is true then your problems will increase with every passing day till you become another 'living dead'.., if not then you will will slowly come to terms with the situation and you may eventually begin to love the mac culture. I personally think the former is more likely though.

I am among those who trust life, who believe that existence is caring to them who trust it, so just wait with a positive mindset for an appropriate oppurtunity to come your way, you might just get it, even in these times of recession.:)

pookiebear
June 6th, 2009, 06:24 AM
This thread teeters on the edge of epicness. Carry on!

DeadSuperHero
June 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
This thread teeters on the edge of epicness. Carry on!

Thanks! It's because I posted in it.

hatten
June 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM
virtualization?

glotz
June 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I recently started working in a mobile software company.

Guess what? I am being separated from LINUX, which is making me so angry and sad.

More unfortunate is that all the company has project for is the god damn Iphone. No surprise that the apple iphone SDK is designed to be "MAC Exclusive." Forgot Linux, not even cursed windows is given an option.

Just out of engineering my life which 99.9% revolved around LINUX is now forced on the Propriety apple crap and sadly I can't do anything about it.

In time of this deep recession I don't have many option and I have few stomach to feed.

A week has passed and I have to work on MAC mini and it is getting a reason for depression. Every day feel like a torture. It feels like something deep inside my soul is being morphed which is causing pain. Its is equivalent of my identity being stolen from me. Part of me I am deeply in love being cut from my inside.

I don't blame it on APPLE, I blame it on people who buy those IPHONES. Technology without ideology no matter how advance, will only doom the human race in long term.

Linux is not just an operating system for me. Its a way of life which matched my ideology and values.

Why is that Linux which is the best out there, don't dominate the world outside university lab and true coder's home.

Is this my destiny? Is this how a engineers romance with perfect software ends?

What a great post! I bet a lot of people feel exactly as you do.

Since you have a professional history with Linux, there still might be hope for you.

Always remember who you are. Good luck!

HappinessNow
June 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
edit: joking not understood (removed post).

t0p
June 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Stay brave! Soak up all that iphone-related info. And maybe in the future you'll be able to combine your love of linux and your expertise with iphone to create something that improves linux and the iphone.

HereZiz
June 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Technology without ideology no matter how advance, will only doom the human race in long term.

Proprietary technology is not without ideology. The ideology is just different from FOSS'. It revolves around writing quality software for consumers and get paid for that. After all, we live in a monetary system. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get paid for time and knowledge invested.

Vast majority of software users do not care about FOSS ideology though. They use the computer and the software as a tool, to get certain job done, commercial or otherwise. The "freedoms" involving the ability to modify the code and distribute modified code is interesting only to some developers. Most still want to get paid for their time and knowledge which would be impossible within the "freedoms" of a FOSS.

"True" developers is a vague term, and most certainly wrong in the given context. Most expect to get paid for their work. They won't get paid if they develop for Linux. The only devs that get paid for developing for Linux are the ones working for companies which benefit financially from Linux one way or the other. Novell, Canonical, Red Hat...

3rdalbum
June 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Maybe you could help to port Linux to the iPhone?

Name change
June 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Oh cry, cry...
Can't use Linux in my job...
Well life sux from time to time, so I heard :D.
And to describe yur use of Linux as a romance sickens me!
Just stupid. Use it, don't "love it".
There's nothing that prevents you to use Linux at home...