PDA

View Full Version : No "three strikes" rule in the UK

monsterstack
June 5th, 2009, 11:39 AM
According to this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8083866.stm) [bbc.co.uk], anyhow. There is speculation about a possible implementation of a way of slowing users down instead, although as any fule know, getting around technical barriers is trivial.

Still it's good news anyhow.

benj1
June 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
didn't think they would introduce a three stikes rule as europe seem to be talking about internet access as a basic right (yes i know france is trying to introduce a similar law).

im not too worried about it anyway, only the worst offenders will be affected by this anyway.

luckily the ISPs are against this, can you image the amount of crap we would have to put up with if they jumped on the anti piracy bandwagon.

monsterstack
June 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
didn't think they would introduce a three stikes rule as europe seem to be talking about internet access as a basic right (yes i know france is trying to introduce a similar law).

im not too worried about it anyway, only the worst offenders will be affected by this anyway.

luckily the ISPs are against this, can you image the amount of crap we would have to put up with if they jumped on the anti piracy bandwagon.

Yeah, turning ISPs into the Internet Police is a pretty dumb idea. The implications would just be too far-reaching. And consider that the media conglomerates have been advocating something like this for years now. They're usually quite good at getting what they want, so the fact that they haven't managed to achieve this anywhere is pretty much testament to how much of a bad idea it is to begin with.

lovinglinux
June 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Check out this article http://torrentfreak.com/government-website-packed-full-of-warez-090604/

billgoldberg
June 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM

I will not tolerate my ISP spying on me.

It violates the contract and privacy laws.

markharding557
June 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
i now access the web from a vpn service so my phorm profiling isp can't profile me

ddrichardson
June 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
i now access the web from a vpn service so my phorm profiling isp can't profile me
I signed a ePetition on the No 10 web site about Phorm some time ago - we had an answer back stating that the government were aware of the technology and are monitoring it as to whether it violates or is likely to infringe the Data Protection or Computer Misuse Acts.

BT were very, very underhanded in their approach to trialling it.

What worries me is that this has been as a result of ISP pressure, because they don't want to be financial or legally responsible rather than a decision based on the benefit of the people. Why does that worry me? Because if one group can lobby successfully then so can the other.