PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty on an HP6910p laptop (R515/R520) ATI video card

frogotronic
June 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hello,

Tried Jaunty as dual boot on my Hardy system. Its not as good as Hardy for my machine (yet). Here are the two major show stoppers (in my opinion):

1) The opensource video driver is almost there...its good, but not totally complete. My video card is:

ATI Technologies Inc M64-S [Mobility Radeon X2300]

The opensource driver is good with compiz, needs some work but I'm sure it could be tweaked. Everything else was good, except for games like urban terror (FPS at 12~20; with FGLRX on Hardy this is at 60~125 FPS). UT is a good test, because it uses a "true" 3D rendering engine and will indicate how the machine will deal with 3D apps, like Blender or any intensive 3D rendering program.

2) The network manager is completely buggy in Jaunty and a problem. Constantly dropping and trying to switch networks. No doubt there is a workaround and by 9.04.1 this should likely be solved. This bug currently make Jaunty unusable for a professional level workstation. But, I'm sure there is a patch out there, so this is probably not the same level of show stopper as #1.

I suspect #1 will be solved within a few months and then the opensource driver will be as good if not better than FGLRX. I am VERY impressed and other than these two bugs, Jaunty was definitely a nicer, faster and slicker interface. Things look very good, especially after Intrepid, which I gather a lot of people had issues with.

Looking forward to the next LTS release.

- CH :popcorn: