PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Icons on different desktop pains

nexoncore
June 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I want to utilise my desktop to its fullest, and the desktop pains ( as I refer to them, but I dont know what others refer to them as. Basically the four boxes in the bottom right ).

The main problem at the moment is, the fact that icons on the main desktop, are repeated on the other pains. I was hoping there would be a way to set it so certain files and icons are shown on one pain and not the other. Much like how in windows you can extend the desktop through multiple monitors.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

nexoncore
June 10th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Has anyone got any advice on this?

mharrison
June 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
If you are referring to what I think you are, those are not extensions of the main desktop, but in fact different desktops, or workspaces if you will, altogether. I don't think you can extend your main desktop across them, but rather it is designed so you could have Firefox running on Desktop 1, OpenOffice.org running on Desktop 2, and so on.

The icons remain the same between them all because they are all technically clones of eachother so if you have a document on your desktop, all of the desktops will have the same document. The only difference between the desktops would be what programs are running on each one.

Hope this helps, and if I am way off, I hope someone will correct me.

nexoncore
June 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Its not off much at all, I was just wondering if these cloned Icons could be removed, or if each desktop instance could have access to its own icon's, instead of just repeating.

I doubt there is an option for this, so I was hoping there may have been a package or application which could do this.