PDA

View Full Version : Mono Basic documentation?

col48
June 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Having installed Mono Basic and Monodoc, I find the language is different enough from VB5 (yes, version 5!) that I need to refer to a manual a lot but Monodoc seems to have all the structure of documentation but almost none of the substance.

Anyone know where good documentation for the language may be found?

Please don't suggest I use a C dialect, or the thread might catch fire!

directhex
June 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Having installed Mono Basic and Monodoc, I find the language is different enough from VB5 (yes, version 5!) that I need to refer to a manual a lot but Monodoc seems to have all the structure of documentation but almost none of the substance.

Anyone know where good documentation for the language may be found?

Please don't suggest I use a C dialect, or the thread might catch fire!

Generally speaking, try MSDN. Documentation is a massive task, and it's often missing in monodoc where nobody has sat down to write a section.

Habbit
June 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Well, Mono Basic tries to implement Visual Basic .NET, which is quite different from VB6 which was itself not exacly the same as VB5. I mean, people still use older languages (my Num Calculus prof hands us examples in FORTRAN77) but what are you trying to do/port/reimplement that had VB5 in it?

col48
June 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks, directhex. Obviously I hadn't thought of that!

Habbit:
If Fortran were more readily available, I'd probably still be using it. I learnt programming with Fortran II and it is amazing what could be done on a machine with only 5K of available memory.

I have swathes of VB code which should be easier to adapt to a more modern dialect of the same language than switching at the same time to something I am less familiar with.

WitchCraft
June 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks, directhex. Obviously I hadn't thought of that!

Habbit:
If Fortran were more readily available, I'd probably still be using it. I learnt programming with Fortran II and it is amazing what could be done on a machine with only 5K of available memory.

I have swathes of VB code which should be easier to adapt to a more modern dialect of the same language than switching at the same time to something I am less familiar with.

Yea, it's amazing what you can if you have too much time and money.

I started with Qbasic, went on to Pascal/Delphi, went on C/C++, went on to LISP, went on to Perl, went on to VB6, went on to .net, and in the end, came back to C to help implement mono.

Now, Fortran's syntax is just as horrible as Perl's, and probably the reason why Fortran/Perl still has so many users is that they cannot move on, since they don't understand their programs anymore. It's a thing called maintainabiltity.

I recommend Python, because it's use of whitespace as block separator simply enforces a certain structure.

That's probably why professors don't change to python: because usually they don't have any structure, which means they don't understand what they teach, and in generally are incapable to understand anything more complex than Qbasic.

I have no understanding for such people anymore, and I think one should kick such people out of our education institutions at once.