PDA

View Full Version : web tools in ubuntu??

abhilashm86
June 5th, 2009, 08:21 AM
can we run adobe flash or dreamweaver in linux, if so how??
i found alternative to photoshop thats GIMP, like is there particular softwares to do webpage, i mean similar to flash........

s.fox
June 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hi,

As an alternative to dream weaver you could run Quanta Plus.

Hope this helps.

-Ash R

abhilashm86
June 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

As an alternative to dream weaver you could run Quanta Plus.

Hope this helps.

-Ash R

hey its mentioned package for KDE, i'm running gnome, so is there any other package specifically for gnome??

Tibuda
June 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Do you use Dreamweaver as a IDE or as a WYSIWYG editor? If you use it as a IDE there are tons of better alternatives like Aptana, Bluefish, Geany and even Gedit.

For WYSIWYG, there's Amaya (from W3C), Kompozer and Quanta. I can't tell if they are good, because I don't use them (XHTML+CSS is more powerful, flexible and fast for me). There's nothing wrong running Qt/KDE applications on Gnome. They will look ugly, but they work.

For Flash, I don't know any alternative to create swf files, but there are better and more flexible alternatives to swf, like those JavaScript animation frameworks (jQuery and scriptaculous are easy).

Mirge
June 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
+1 for geany. As for dreamweaver, check WineHQ AppDB... some versions supposedly run great, others don't. If nothing else, install VirtualBox & run DW from Winblows in a VB.

Paul41
June 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
There isn't a alternative to Flash unfortunately. I would suggest running it VirtualBox. Some people run it in WINE and done fine. I have tried in WINE and had problems.

Here is the link for Dreamweaver in the WineHQ app db http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=183

and Flash http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=23

hessiess
June 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
You can use flex for developing Flash on Linux. Don't bother with dreamwever or WYSIWYG editors, they output awful HTML/CSS, and it is *slightly* expensive if you are only using it as a text editor;).

ScotchontheRocks
June 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM
For Web development, I use Bluefish mostly. I've installed Dreamweaver MX via WINE and got it to work pretty well. Someone mentioned Virtual Box in a previous thread. That sounds like a good idea, too. I might give that a try.

jespdj
June 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM
hey its mentioned package for KDE, i'm running gnome, so is there any other package specifically for gnome??
You can run Qt programs (for KDE) on Gnome also, you don't specifically need a Gnome program. Just try it out.