PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Advice abt wht to install on my pc :ubuntu or Xubuntu

daisy87
June 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM
hello,

I wre adviced to download ubuntu 9.04 but are my pc specifications fine with this software or shud I install :

Lightweight alternative (Xubuntu)

If you have an old or low-spec computer or want to get the most out of your hardware, using a lightweight desktop system such as Xubuntu is recommended, as it should make more efficient use of your system's resources. Of course, even if you have the newest equipment out, you could still use Xubuntu.
If your system has less than 192 MB of system memory, use the Alternate Installation CD.
Note: If you have a low-specification computer, certain features may be automatically turned off to conserve system resources. For example, if you have a graphics card with only a small amount of video memory (VRAM), the boot-up screen may not be shown.

my pc specifications are:
intel dual core 2.0ghz
memory 2G
Hard disk 160GB SATA
etc..

Coz i saw that Ubuntu 9.04 requires:

Bare Minimum requirements

It should be possible to get Ubuntu running on a system with the following minimum hardware specification, although it is unlikely that the system would run well. You should use the Alternate install CD to attempt such an installation.

300 MHz x86 processor
64 MB of system memory (RAM)
At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
CD-ROM drive or network card

Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual effects may not run smoothly.

700 MHz x86 processor
384 MB of system memory (RAM)
8 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
Sound card
A network or Internet connection

Can someone advice me of what to do.
thank you

pmlxuser
June 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
you can install UBUNTU or XUBUNTU with your specs all should run fine. If you are a fun of gnome you might just install ubuntu. anyway even KUBUNTU would run quite OK on your machine.

daisy87
June 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM
thank you:D