PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partioning problems

ilikefire12
June 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Kay, so I'm a total newb when it comes to Ubuntu. I've tried to install it on my computer and its all good until I try to partition my HDD. It gets to the point where it tries to partition the drive, it tries for about 1 min and then comes up with a prompt of "an unknown error as occurred." So I try it again, and come up with the same result. I don't know how to get my drives to partition, any help would be appreciated.

lindsay7
June 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Are installing Ubuntu and getting this problem during the install. What OS if any is on the system now? Can you give some info on your system and also how are you trying to install. Where did you get the install disk, etc.

ilikefire12
June 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah, this happening during installing Ubuntu. Im running Vista on the computer. I`m giving it about 20GB to be able to install Ubuntu, and to allow for other things. This computer has a 300GB HDD, 4GB ram, its an AMD Turion..

merlinus
June 6th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Did you use vista's disk manager to shrink its partition and leave space for ubuntu, and did you defrag?

lindsay7
June 6th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Yep, what I would do is defrag the drive using windows and the shrink the parttition and create a new one using window. Then install Ubuntu to the new space,