PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot to ubuntu

Bill_Jones
June 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I have an asus eee pc 900 runing windows xp home with sp1. I was running ubuntu netbook remix from a flash drive and it was working just fine. I tried to install it with the dual boot feature so I could continue to use windows I partioned the drive into a 5 gig for windows and 2.5 gigs for ubuntu. When I boot the machine there is no selection screen of any sort, it just boots to windows. Running ubuntu off the flash drive I can acess the 2.5 gig drive but I can not figure out how to uninstall ubuntu and stick my drive back together. If you know of any way to run ubuntu without the flash drive or unistall it please tell.

munky99999
June 5th, 2009, 01:09 AM
If you dont mind losing winxp entirely and all the data.

Simply install ubuntu from the live-cd/usb and when you get to the parition manager. Set it to take entire drive.

M Star
June 5th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I have an asus eee pc 900 runing windows xp home with sp1. I was running ubuntu netbook remix from a flash drive and it was working just fine. I tried to install it with the dual boot feature so I could continue to use windows I partioned the drive into a 5 gig for windows and 2.5 gigs for ubuntu. When I boot the machine there is no selection screen of any sort, it just boots to windows. Running ubuntu off the flash drive I can acess the 2.5 gig drive but I can not figure out how to uninstall ubuntu and stick my drive back together. If you know of any way to run ubuntu without the flash drive or unistall it please tell.
As far as I know Ubuntu needs at least 4 GB disk place to work properly; minimum 3 GB for installing Ubuntu and 1 GB (not Minimum) to save data and create things.

I think it did not install completely in that tiny 2.5GB space.

presence1960
June 5th, 2009, 03:01 AM
a little more info would be helpful, like how big is your HDD? 5 GB for Windows and 2.5 GB for Ubuntu seems way to small for either. Your Ubuntu probably won't work on that small of a partition and you are really cutting it close with Windows.

Edit: never mind here is the info from the Wiki:

In the 2 GB and 4 GB models of the 700 series of the Eee PC, the SSD is permanently soldered to the board, to reduce manufacturing costs[citation needed]. In the 8 GB model, the SSD is a card connected via the internal PCI Express Mini Card connector, leaving the original SSD area on the motherboard empty.[55]

The Eee PC 900 comes with a removable PCI Express Mini SSD module, with or without four additional 1 GB memory chips soldered on the main board. Different models come with different-sized SSDs. One Linux version has 4 GB, an XP version has 8 GB, and all remaining ones (XP or Linux) have 16 GB.

Hopefully you have the 16 GB storage or you may have to go back to using your flash drive.