PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is yours!

jbruced
June 5th, 2009, 12:13 AM
This is a rant about how great it is to have this freedom, nothing more.

I've been following all these posts about distros, suggestions, what should we do etc I finally realized that most don't know that the deal is that it is free as in speech.

IT IS YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM.

Do whatever you want with it, whenever you want with it.

Blows my mind sometimes

8-[

Show me some love here.

Vostrocity
June 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Whut?
:confused:

nitehawk777
June 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Show me some love here.

........Love.

cariboo
June 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
After the initial installation I add about 200Mb worth of extra packages, and spent about half an hour setting things up the way I like, then I just use it.

I use wallpaper-tray to change backgrounds every fifteen minutes, delete the lower panel and use gnome-do docky. I use the DarkSuit Theme with Breathe Icons and I end up with something like the screenshot.

jbruced
June 5th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Ok explanation, Ubuntu, open source Linux in general is just an amazing thing, and I don't think it will ever stop.

Billion dollar industries(you know who they are) are struggling to do what the open source community is doing right now, and these industries aren't doing it as well either.

Vostrocity
June 5th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ok explanation, Ubuntu, open source Linux in general is just an amazing thing, and I don't think it will ever stop.

Billion dollar industries(you know who they are) are struggling to do what the open source community is doing right now, and these industries aren't doing it as well either.

Thanks for giving us all these facts but not telling us what the thread is about. :D

meho_r
June 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I use Ubuntu, I use Mandriva, I use Debian, I use openSUSE... I use them all on one or one million computers, whenever I like for whatever I like... I use GNOME when I want, and I use KDE when I want... Nothing tastes so sweet as freedom indeed :)

jbruced
June 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks for giving us all these facts but not telling us what the thread is about. :D

Its a rant about how great it is to have this kind of freedom in an OS and software.

monsterstack
June 5th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah, freedom is pretty neat.

ctrlmd
June 5th, 2009, 01:03 AM
ok

73ckn797
June 5th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Its a rant about how great it is to have this kind of freedom in an OS and software.

YEA!!!
Let them speak out!

fleaaccela
June 5th, 2009, 01:49 AM
i quite like ubuntu. i'm not sure what it is. it's really fast and synaptic makes installing software very easy.

the only problem i have with the OS so far is doing things like compiling code and installing software within the terminal. nothing to complain about though, that's my fault. you just need to learn. out of the box, it's absolutely brilliant, and anybody can use it. it's an absolute blessing amongst the "good people" out there who are actually putting the "fight the power" ethics into their everyday life.

it would be REALLY nice to be able to make contributions and be a part of the open-source community by helping shape and perfecting programs. being solely an enduser of open-source is a bit frustrating as there is no real way to show your real appreciation for other people's hard work that they were not paid for.

it's unfortunate that the majors refuse to work with linux users. imagine how many people would switch/stick to linux solely based on the fact if itunes was supported directly from apple on it.

jbruced
June 5th, 2009, 01:54 AM
it would be REALLY nice to be able to make contributions and be a part of the open-source community by helping shape and perfecting programs. being solely an enduser of open-source is a bit frustrating as there is no real way to show your real appreciation for other people's hard work that they were not paid for.

I've felt the same, so I come on this forum and try to help with questions and issues I've had before. I figure it'll just help a little to build our community, and in turn, help progress our OS, and in the long run, help us all.

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2009, 01:58 AM
This is a rant about how great it is to have this freedom, nothing more.
Yeah, but as soon as you install Java or Flash, you're screwed. :)

And a rant is something you do when you're mad; a rave is something you do when you're happy.

jbruced
June 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM

And a rant is something you do when you're mad; a rave is something you do when you're happy.

I was ranting about how some people don't appreciate how great this freedom is. Did you get that flash?

My Ubuntu is now flashing you my jave (without any problems) :-)

doas777
June 5th, 2009, 02:05 AM
rock on dude!

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I was ranting about how some people don't appreciate how great this freedom is.

Ok, I understand now. I thought you were raving about how great the freedom is.

meho_r
June 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Ok, I understand now. I thought you were raving about how great the freedom is.

No, but I was :D

Johnsie
June 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Ubuntu is not mine... The name and artwork are all trademarked to Cannonical. Yeah, the cd was free, but so was my Windows cd ;-)

sim-value
June 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ubuntu is not mine... The name and artwork are all trademarked to Cannonical. Yeah, the cd was free, but so was my Windows cd ;-)

Yes and it ofcourse also came with the Source code ...

when i read such things i dont know what to think ... It isnt just about Cash ...

You cant compare Pirated (or gifted or whatever) software with FOSS !

Johnsie
June 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Gifted. I'm a professional programmer and I don't believe in piracy. It may well be open source, but that doesn't really mean alot to most computer users who are actually not advanced programmers. Also, in the programming world, maintenance of someone elses code is one of the least desirable tasks.

Kimm
June 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Java has been OpenSourced. Or well... not all of it so far, but if you install IcedTea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea) rather than standard sun Java you'll get a completely free Java-implemention (one that I have never had any issues with).

For flash there is always Gnash, it may be imperfect, but it works with most video sites, which is what most people use flash for anyway.

Still, lets not let two software packages ruin the greatness of an otherwise completely free system :)

benj1
June 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
grep love < emotions > OP

open source is good, shame alot seem to appeciate the lack of cost, but hey each to their own.

3rdalbum
June 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I love that too - it's OUR operating system and nobody can take that away from us. We, as a community, direct where it will go next and what it will become. It's an amazing feeling to see a bug fixed and think "Yep, I reported that bug" or to see a new feature in a program and think "I was the one who asked for that". It's especially fantastic to get a bug report for one of your programs, or a question about a HOWTO that you're written, and think "My contribution is useful to someone".

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Java has been OpenSourced. Or well... not all of it so far, but if you install IcedTea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea) rather than standard sun Java you'll get a completely free Java-implemention (one that I have never had any issues with).

For flash there is always Gnash, it may be imperfect, but it works with most video sites, which is what most people use flash for anyway.

Still, lets not let two software packages ruin the greatness of an otherwise completely free system :)

Yeah, but that's not installing Java or Flash; that's installing some other implementation of them. ;)

forrestcupp
June 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Yes and it ofcourse also came with the Source code ...

when i read such things i dont know what to think ... It isnt just about Cash ...

You cant compare Pirated (or gifted or whatever) software with FOSS !

If you're not a programmer, and you don't care about the source, it most likely is about the cash.

It's ok to be a vigilante, but if you're honest about things, there are a lot of people that use Linux because they can keep their systems modern without paying any money. And there is nothing wrong with the existence of people with those needs. You can't have it both ways. Either it's free or it's not.