PDA

View Full Version : Shots

CJ Master
June 4th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Well I'm going to get a(nother) shot tomorrow, and I can't get used to it. >.< I mean, the pain is defiantly within acceptable limits (hurts less then being pinched.) It's just that I have an extreme phobia of needles.

So, I'm wondering, is there any way that you guys prepare to get a shot? Or does it just not bother anybody else? :)

dragos240
June 5th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Well I'm going to get a(nother) shot tomorrow, and I can't get used to it. >.< I mean, the pain is defiantly within acceptable limits (hurts less then being pinched.) It's just that I have an extreme phobia of needles.

So, I'm wondering, is there any way that you guys prepare to get a shot? Or does it just not bother anybody else? :)

It takes about an hour for me with nurses holding me down and my head turned. It's not the pain, or the needles. Because actually for my old meds I used to take, once a week I had to get my blood drawn, but something going into my bloodstream just doesn't seem right to me, so it's kinda hard :(

H2SO_four
June 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I hate getting shots. One of my worst fears :( Funny thing though, I have lots of tattoos. lol. Can't deal with the doctors needles.

I also have to turn my head for shots...

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
pour some hot sauce in your eyes. that'll keep your mind off of needles.

CharmyBee
June 5th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm not getting shot. I'm too young to die.

CJ Master
June 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I'm not getting shot. I'm too young to die.

*bu dum bum* Ok, now that we got THAT out of the way... :p

CJ Master
June 5th, 2009, 03:05 AM
It takes about an hour for me with nurses holding me down and my head turned. It's not the pain, or the needles. Because actually for my old meds I used to take, once a week I had to get my blood drawn, but something going into my bloodstream just doesn't seem right to me, so it's kinda hard :(

Wait, literally an hour?! O_O

PurposeOfReason
June 5th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Get diabetes, worked well for me.

yabbadabbadont
June 5th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I got over my fear of needles by donating blood. Over 3 gallons so far.

SuperSonic4
June 5th, 2009, 03:11 AM
pour some hot sauce in your eyes. that'll keep your mind off of needles.

Or walk up to the bar and ask for a shot of X :p

Bölvağur
June 5th, 2009, 03:23 AM
What I did when I had to go regularly to check my blood was look out the window (or a fishtank or what ever) and think about how you are going to not care about being stung and how you are not going to twitch.
Then begin to think you are really going to make it :D

and for the heck of it... ask for a lolly at the end of it :P

frup
June 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I would agree used needles are scary...

But I don't understand how people are so scared of needles. I've always looked directly at the needle and found it quite interesting. When I've had blood tests, I find it quite interesting seeing the blood pump out.

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 03:40 AM
the best part is watching it push your skin in and then it penetrates the skin - that's neat. it's kinda cool too, when it's mostly all the way in, then they lift the needle up horizontally a tad, so you can see your skin pull up and that long cold needle pushing further through your flesh.

Kingsley
June 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Be a man! :D

The only time a needle has kind of bothered me is when I gave blood last year. The person inserting the needle into my arm kind of messed up the first time, so she had the jiggle the needle around in my vein a bit. It really hurt like a mother-- for a couple of minutes.

jflaker
June 5th, 2009, 03:46 AM
.... I mean, the pain is defiantly within acceptable limits (hurts less then being pinched.).........

Just pretend you are getting pinched. Did you ever pick a splinter out with a sewing needle? It isn't any different.

I had to get Hep-c Innoculation, that is a series of 3 shots....I watched each time...was fun.

Vostrocity
June 5th, 2009, 03:50 AM
the best part is watching it push your skin in and then it penetrates the skin - that's neat. it's kinda cool too, when it's mostly all the way in, then they lift the needle up horizontally a tad, so you can see your skin pull up and that long cold needle pushing further through your flesh.

Ewwwwwww........... #-o

Bölvağur
June 5th, 2009, 04:02 AM
The person inserting the needle into my arm kind of messed up the first time, so she had the jiggle the needle around in my vein a bit. It really hurt like a mother-- for a couple of minutes.

um... I was at a hospital once when the nurse couldn't get to my vein at all.. I stopped counting at her/his (cannot remember the gender) attempt. They called in an expert in needles to do it and after few attempts they got in :D

Somehow getting stabbed with that thing doesn't grow on me though :(

don_quixote
June 5th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I had a bout of meningitis a few years ago, and the headaches were something else entirely. The only thing that helped was acupuncture, even though I HATED HATED needles. Anyway, fear's gone since then. Once you have a few dozen needles in you for an hour, one -- even if it's slightly deeper -- isn't so bothersome anymore.

Dark Aspect
June 5th, 2009, 04:57 AM
When I was younger and probably all the way until I was 15, I had an extreme fear of medical needles. Now I don't care that much, getting your blood drawn is the worst though as far as pain. Try looking away or closing your eyes when your getting one and you won't feel a thing. Most of the pain that come from shots seems to be psychological; depending on the drug they use, IVs can be much, much more painful.

Paqman
June 5th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Can't say that i'm bothered at all about injections, but I don't really like giving blood. Something about having the blood drained from my body weirds me out, even if I know it's only a tiny bit. I still donate blood though, I like the idea that I can help somebody out by giving a bit of blood occasionally.

CJ Master
June 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Just pretend you are getting pinched. Did you ever pick a splinter out with a sewing needle? It isn't any different.

I had to get Hep-c Innoculation, that is a series of 3 shots....I watched each time...was fun.

That's actually a very good tip, and it might help me overcome my fear. Thank you. :)

CJ Master
June 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well I got my shot. I couldn't visulise someone was pinching me. However, I did listen to my music during my shot, and that probably helped me. =]

Vostrocity
June 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Well I got my shot. I couldn't visulise someone was pinching me. However, I did listen to my music during my shot, and that probably helped me. =]

Congratulations. ;)