PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] transfering 4gb+ files

c0d4041292
June 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have some HD movies on my laptop and I was trying to transfer them to my ps3 using a flash drive, when the transfer is almost done I get an error saying that the file is to large?... how can I get these movies to my ps3....i also have a 26GB+ file that I'm going to transfer so it would be nice to have a solution to transfer that also...

binbash
June 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Are you using NTFS at flash drive?If not, format as NTFS

mcduck
June 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have some HD movies on my laptop and I was trying to transfer them to my ps3 using a flash drive, when the transfer is almost done I get an error saying that the file is to large?... how can I get these movies to my ps3....i also have a 26GB+ file that I'm going to transfer so it would be nice to have a solution to transfer that also...

I bet your flash drive is formatted with FAT file system?

FAT can't handle files larger than 4GB.. Sadly, PS3 can't read anything else than FAT so your only option is to use some media streaming server to transfer the files through network connection.

dje
June 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
yes, format as ntfs, if the ps3 supports it. your drive is probably fat32 which only supports single file sizes of upto 4gb

dje

binbash
June 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
sudo apt-cache search mediatomb

c0d4041292
June 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
didn't even think of that >_<

thanks for the quick reply...if ps3 cant read ntfs what programs can I use to transfer files

*edit* didn't see ya there binbash...thanks *edit*

mcduck
June 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Mediatomb is quite nice, but you might also want to try "PS3 Media Server" (yes, the developer has quite some imagination when it comes to application names.. ;))

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/