PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install Ubuntu on VMWare

moonspell666
June 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hello. I run the joke of an OS known as Vista. I am trying to download Ubuntu onto my pc and run it through VMWare player. I am having trouble doing this. Anyone know how to do this?

Thank you

finer recliner
June 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
you will need more than vmware player to do this. you need a vmware server to host the virtual OS, and then vmware player to view the virtual OS (make sense?).

vmware does offer a free version of vmware server with many of the "enterprise" features stripped out.

an easier solution might be to install ubuntu using WUBI. this will install ubuntu on top of windows similar to any other windows application.

moonspell666
June 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Okay. Thank you very much

mafa
June 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
you can also use VMX Builder (http://www.vmxbuilder.com/vmx-builder/) and the Vmware Player
Easy to use and damn small ;)

sensi12002
October 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Question: Is WMWare workstation the same as VMware server?

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 into VMware wrkstn without any problems.

My first Ubuntu install..So far I am very pleased. ;)

TroyDavis
October 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Question: Is WMWare workstation the same as VMware server?

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 into VMware wrkstn without any problems.

My first Ubuntu install..So far I am very pleased. ;)

I keep getting a panic erro when try to insall the 64 bit verion in VMware worstation 6 How did you get yours to install?

sensi12002
October 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I am no VMware expert, I have only been playing around with it for a few weeks. Mainly with windows, and I keep running into license roadblocks! Now that we have that out of the way, I will dispense some advice with a grain of salt.

I did not do the 64-bit install, since I do not have a 64-bit system, I just did the standard 32-bit. I do not know how to emulate a 64-bit environment(if it is even possible).

lemik
September 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hello, I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 on VnWare.
I downloaded and installed on WinXP the last free version of VmWare Player.
I started it as installation new OS to virtual machine, and shown to it the Ubuntu 10.04 image.
The process started and I got message that everything finished OK.
But... I got only command line.
I want also X-server with Gnome.

How can I add it?

Thank you.