PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can you dual boot with a mac?

drewm1732
June 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what your opinions are of dual booting with a mac. I'm looking into a new laptop and I really like the aesthetics as well as the performance of the new mac books but I need to be able to run a Linux system on the computer (preferably Ubuntu) and I've heard that there can be hardware compatibility issues. Does anyone have experience with this? And if its really not a good idea, can someone recommend a high performance laptop? thanks again to the community for your help.

raymondh
June 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hello Drewm1732,

On the forum > hardware & laptop, there are 2 active stickies involving compatibility and incompatibility. You are right, there are some reproted issues with the mac, though from what I read, a lot of them are corrected.

I am a mac user and enjoy my ubuntu. On my MBP, I decided to use virtualization (VMware) and virtualized ubuntu so I can get my linux. Of course, your requirements and needs may vary.

Good luck and regards,

maflynn
June 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm running kubuntu on my unibody MBP. Most of the hardware is working as you would expect it too.

Here's a good page to see what works and what doesn't
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook5-1/Jaunty

I found to have issues with 9.04 on restarting and sleeping but other then that its been rock solid.