PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setup help

mohd
June 4th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hi , i want install the new ubuntu but i've got problem understanding the partitions in ubuntu

If i choose manual i should be having
- a swap
- a '/' root partition for the operating system
- another partition for my data like music , movies , photos etc ..

so my question is , which type should i choose for the 3rd partition is it /home or /data or which ?
i want it to be like that a small partition for the ubuntu and the applications and software
a big one for storing data , like in windows a partition and in it you can have folders and files

thanks in advance

cariboo
June 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Personally I setup 3 partitions, as I use The next version of Ubuntu as soon as it is available, which means I may have to re-install fairly often.

I usually set up the partitions like the:

/ - 5Gb
swap - twice ram
/home - the rest of the hard drive

media files are stored on a file server.

jbruced
June 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm a little confused by the questions, but maybe some of this will help.

/ is the whole root system
/home is only user data
swap is swap space

No real need (in my opinion) to have a seperate home partition unless you want to reinstall often without first backing up your home directory.

mohd
June 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
@cariboo
what is the file server ?

@jbruced

what i was trying to say , when i used windows i had a small partition that had windows and the software , another big partition where i store my music and stuff .. so if i wanted to reinstall windows or upgrade it i wouldn't lose things , so i was trying to do the same thing here since there is usually a new ubuntu every year or not very long time

but the prob when i made the partitions at my 1st try in ubuntu i made one as a /usr and i couldn't find it when i go to 'computer' window , so i wanted to know which one can make my partition visible in computer

merlinus
June 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Follow cariboo's suggestions - 3 partitions, /, /home and /swap. When you reinstall or upgrade, /home will not be touched, and so your data and application configurations and preferences will remain intact without having to backup and restore.

I think what cariboo meant is that he stores his media files on a server, so they can be accessed from all his other computers. This is irrelevant in your case.