PDA

View Full Version : Windows UNFRIENDLY PC?

b@sh_n3rd
June 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM
We all have heard of UNFRIENDLY PC's for Linux...but anyone heard of such on Winblows?? :D..well, I know a couple :D..

I've got err...3 Older COMPAQ PC's at home...one is mine, the other two, my dad and sis use...now I've noticed something strange...these PC's have the "designed for windows xxxx" (2 PC's, NT/98 the other, 2000) tag. Got em second-hand but they are good enough for the jobs they perform. Now, I've been able to setup XP on these PC's and I've noticed that after a couple of days...ok let's be fair, say weeks? It starts giving trouble...It doesn't work like it should...slow, volume control icon is missing in the system tray, etc. same case in all three...

However, I try Ubuntu, no problem whatsoever...It's fast, stable, in fact it works perfect...anyone else experienced similar incidents? :D

(I think these PC's are PC's that know what a real OS is huh? :D)

omar8
June 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Windows bashing is not welcome here anymore.

Dimitriid
June 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Well of course. A lot of laptops and underpowered desktop pcs ship with vista with pityfull 1gb of RAM which is in the opinion of people like me, not acceptable.

However rolling this computers to windows XP its something harder to set up than just using Ubuntu, this is mainly because of driver support. Ive found that a lot of hardware vendors are becoming really lazy and barely support the OS they are advertised for which is sad.

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
We all have heard of UNFRIENDLY PC's for Linux...but anyone heard of such on Winblows?? :D..well, I know a couple :D..

I've got err...3 Older COMPAQ PC's at home...one is mine, the other two, my dad and sis use...now I've noticed something strange...these PC's have the "designed for windows xxxx" (2 PC's, NT/98 the other, 2000) tag. Got em second-hand but they are good enough for the jobs they perform. Now, I've been able to setup XP on these PC's and I've noticed that after a couple of days...ok let's be fair, say weeks? It starts giving trouble...It doesn't work like it should...slow, volume control icon is missing in the system tray, etc. same case in all three...

However, I try Ubuntu, no problem whatsoever...It's fast, stable, in fact it works perfect...anyone else experienced similar incidents? :D

(I think these PC's are PC's that know what a real OS is huh? :D)

*yawn*

b@sh_n3rd
June 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Did I forget to mention my computers or something??

*yawn*
Careful, flies don't have brakes...

Giant Speck
June 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM

No, what's not welcome here is bashing of every variety. Bashing gets you nowhere.

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
nope, but between their vision, gyroscopes, and "steady state aerodynamics", they've got something better.

H2SO_four
June 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Bash, bash bash bash.... Bored.

b@sh_n3rd
June 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
nope, but between their vision, gyroscopes, and "steady state aerodynamics", they've got something better.

let me guess, reverse thrust?
didn't you even get what I meant? I mean, what's the point of me laughing at my own joke??? :D...

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
let me guess, reverse thrust? :D
didn't you even get what I meant? I mean, what's the point of me laughing for my own joke??? :D...

i got it.

b@sh_n3rd
June 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
i got it.
:lolflag:
like, duh!!...that's like the "oldest joke in the book"??

Viva
June 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Try Windows 7. Apparently, it solves all the problems in the world including Flu and Aids.

b@sh_n3rd
June 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Try Windows 7. Apparently, it solves all the problems in the world including Flu and Aids.

you guys totally miss my posts...if a PC is designed for Win NT 4.0 of all OSes, would it be able to support Win7's minimal system req? It's just bilge...

Viva
June 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
you guys totally miss my posts...if a PC is designed for Win NT 4.0 of all OSes, would it be able to support Win7's minimal system req? It's just bilge...

Oh the irony;)

-grubby
June 4th, 2009, 06:20 PM

I have a feeling that the same can apply to your setup now. Windows NT 4 was released in 1996. Windows XP was released 6 years later.

dragos240
June 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Anymore? When was it welcome?

ZarathustraDK
June 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Anymore? When was it welcome?

Back when Microsoft was an evil monopolistic company who fought tooth and claw to run competitors off the road.

keypox
June 4th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Back when Microsoft was an evil monopolistic company who fought tooth and claw to run competitors off the road.

when did that change?

ZarathustraDK
June 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
when did that change?

Well...the responses gave me the impression that some miracle happened about two hours ago that totally redeemed Microsofts past actions, made them the Champion of Altruism and their farts smell like rainbows and sunshine...

...you mean to tell me it didn't happen? :(

Microsoft is evil! BOOOOO! :o

dragos240
June 4th, 2009, 07:00 PM
when did that change?

+1

Tristam Green
June 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Yet it still can't tell Moms why kids love Kix!

Tipped OuT
June 4th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well this thread is a load of *whistles* :rolleyes:.

LowSky
June 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
you know if things like sound icon is missing it means you dont have the driver for the sound chip installed.

A Windows unfriendly PC is hardly the write wording. Windows challanged is more like it.

Dimitriid
June 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
So everybody here is trying to derail things and moderate except actual moderators. Just post constructively and keep criticism of others to your own if critisim bother's you so damn much.

monsterstack
June 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The only unfriendly encounter I've had with Windows recently was waiting about an hour for a few gigabytes of files to transfer to a friend's computer. But just to make sure this post is fair and balanced, I also installed the new nVidia drivers recently on my *nix box and they made my X break, so I had install the old ones again from the commandline.