PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] EXT4 - Is it stable and how to install 9.04 with it.

ubuwatson
June 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I am about to install Ubuntu 9.04 on another machine (notebook). I have read mixed reports (though mostly positive) about EXT4. Is it worth installing it on my notebook computer ? And if so, how do you go about installing 9.04 (fresh install) using EXT4. I read a couple of posts on the subject but unfortunately the information was rather haphazard - i could use some step by step screen shots or something of that nature.

Thanks,
Daniel

cariboo
June 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I have ext4 partitions on 3 computers, all are running with zero problems. A note of caution though, if your data is important use something else, and wait until ext4 is installed by default.

On my server only the boot partition is ext4 the rest of the 1.2Tb are formatted as xfs. Xfs is just slightly slower than ext4, but it has been well tested and is quite reliable.

To format your partitions as ext4, when you get to the partitioning section of the install choose manual partitioning. This is the only way to format your partitions as ext4.

raymondh
June 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Same experiences with ext4 .... so far so good though I tend to back-up to an external ....

zika
June 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM
If You want to be on safe side add rootflags=data=ordered to Your boot line to have stuff written to disk before journal is written, the way Linus likes ... :) (and to altoptions and defoptions in /boot/grub/menu.lst, followed with update-grub)

quantum64
June 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Have you noticed any performance increases? I tried reading some of the benefits to EXT4, but I did not get a clear idea of what the benefits are just yet.

mrtomservo
June 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I installed two separate 9.04's with EXT4 and EXT3 on the same hard drive. I found that EXT4 was noticeably faster than EXT3. Horror stories kept me from using EXT4 as my primary OS filesystem, as I do a lot of work on my pc. Of course I backup, but still. I made an extra partition for gaming, and intend to use EXT4 for that. I should note that the month I ran EXT4 I had NO problems what so ever.