PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error with Update Manager

AmpersUK
June 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Error reads: "Error failed to fork pty"

I get the above error message when I try to update my 9.04 installation with the Update Manager.

Ampers

mmarif4u
June 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Did you tried in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

AmpersUK
June 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Did you tried in terminal:

Yes, I did try that and got:

There was an error creating the child process for this terminal

Ampers

AmpersUK
June 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Yes, I did try that and got:

There was an error creating the child process for this terminal

This seems more serious than I thought. I cannot now download any programs using Add/Remove in the Applications menu or Synaptic Package Manager under System/Administration

Ampers

jdfilburn
October 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Was this issue ever resolved, and if so, how?

I am facing the same challenges.

thank you for your time.

coffeecat
October 25th, 2009, 09:28 AM
jdfilburn, this is what I found with Google (http://www.smorgasbord.net/ubuntu-update-manager-error-failed-to-fork-pt/). I can't say whether that will work because I haven't encountered this error myself, but it seems to agree with other links that come up with the same Google search.

Hint: try googling the exact error message, whatever OS you are using. That's rarely failed to help me and I've googled more obscure error messages than I've had hot breakfasts. :wink: On this occasion I googled "ubuntu error failed to fork pty" and I got 10 pages of hits. Try it. There's a Launchpad bug report which might be of interest.

sohlside
October 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Error reads: "Error failed to fork pty"

I get the above error message when I try to update my 9.04 installation with the Update Manager.

Ampers

Try this (http://www.compdigitec.com/labs/2009/05/12/fixing-there-was-an-error-creating-a-child-process-for-this-terminal/). I believe this is the solution I used when I had same error but can't be certain if mine was caused by same issue.