PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Problem on a Dell XPS Desktop

SurferGTO
June 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
So i'm attempting to completely switch an old desktop Dell Dimension XPS T700S over from windows 2000 pro to ubuntu. I had an old live disk with 7.10 on it so I was going to attempt to use that. upon booting with that disk (in any mode) All I get is a view of the wallpaper. No menu bar, no icons, right click doesnt work, no key controls work. the mouse works and im able to move it around the screen but there is nothing to click.

Sadly, I dont have access to a burner (this one broke) so I used wubi to try and dual boot into 9.04. I get the exact same effect only now its 9.04's wallpaper. still no icons, no menu bar, right click doesnt work.

I have a alternate install disk ill be getting from my friend soon to attempt to try that form of install, but does anyone have any idea as to whats wrong? or how i can fix it?

SurferGTO
June 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
also, ctr+alt+f1 doesnt appear to work (as it did in posts of similar problems)

SurferGTO
June 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
absolutely no luck what-so-ever. I thought maybe it was just SUPER slow to load so I left it on over night, but still nothing.

SurferGTO
June 6th, 2009, 01:23 AM
no luck on any flavors (ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu) using the Wubi installer.

Dialog box appears after install and reboot go fine and gets to part of "computing new partitions". it reaches 100% then everything freezes.

same thing on all flavors.

I'll just have to wait for the alternate install CD and see how that goes, since there doesnt appear to be any way around this so far.