PDA

View Full Version : LiveCD at Bestbuy?

privatejarhead
June 4th, 2009, 04:15 PM
On my last post (Can't Decide What to Buy?), I found out that the Compaq CQ60 was the best budget laptop I could get for under $600, so I'm looking forward to getting that laptop. The two options that I have to get said machine is either through Compaq's website or through Bestbuy (rather have Circuit City, but they're closed =<). Both have roughly the same price for similar setups (AMD Athlon, 2GB RAM, etc.), but Bestbuy offers a 250GB HDD for the same price as Compaq's 160GB HDD, so I'm looking into getting it from the store. I'd ordered an Ubuntu 9.04 CD from Canocial a few weeks ago and I'd estimated that it would have arrived mid-summer, but to my surprise it came in early a few days ago, so I'm really happy with their service (especially since it's free...). Anyways, onto the issue at hand. I've reviewed the hardware on the Compaq and asked about it on the forums and recieved positive reviews of the product, but I'd still rather test it out before buying. My plan is to go to my Bestbuy store and see if they would let me run 9.04 off of the live cd before buying my laptop. Has anyone encountered any sort of problem when trying to do that? Looked around on the internet and never saw an article about someone running a live cd at Bestbuy, so I'm not sure if they would even allow someone to run the software on their computers before purchase. Thanks in advance!

Anzan
June 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't buy anything without running a Live CD. But then I wouldn't buy from a huge chain either.

Give it a go.

Mirge
June 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Probably depends on who's working when you try. In my experience, they aren't the brighest people on earth (sales reps there)... they may think might break something of theirs. But I'd still give it a shot.

Therion
June 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Sometimes it's easier better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Mirge
June 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Sometimes it's easier better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Hahaha i like that..

bruno9779
June 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM
What country are you in?

In europe most chain resellers have a no frills 15 days / 1 month

return warranty.

Eg. I bought an external HDD at Fnac Spain and formatted it in any possible format till i killed it.

I brought it back, got my money refunded, and bought the same HDD a couple of days later.

munky99999
June 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Obviously dont rip open one of their ubuntu cds if they have them. I have noticed ncix and such carrying and selling ubuntu now.

Bring in your own livecd and boot it.

99.9% chance the bios wont even have a password; not to mention defaults usually boot cd.

99.9% chance any employee actually cares about anything. Worst case scenario will be some newly made manager powertripping might say something.

bear912
June 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
You might consider asking if someone can tell you what wireless card supports Linux well, then if they find someone knowledgeable enough to answer that question, they might be a little more likely to let you try a LiveCD on a potential purchase. Or you could just try it and see what happens, which, honestly, is probably the better option.

privatejarhead
June 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
What country are you in?

In europe most chain resellers have a no frills 15 days / 1 month

return warranty.

Eg. I bought an external HDD at Fnac Spain and formatted it in any possible format till i killed it.

I brought it back, got my money refunded, and bought the same HDD a couple of days later.

I was thinking about that option too: buying the computer, testing, and returning if i dont like. oh, i'm in america btw

aysiu
June 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
You can probably find an employee who will let you do it if you explain it properly. And, if not, find another employee or another Best Buy.

More details in this thread:
In-store hardware compatibility testing with Live CD? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3632896#post3632896)

From this quick Google search (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Compaq+CQ60+jaunty&btnG=Google+Search&fp=v7jZ3eZDY3Y), it looks as if you may have some wireless problems.

HappyFeet
June 4th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Has anyone encountered any sort of problem when trying to do that?

I did it once when a friend of mine was shopping for a new desktop. At first the salesman refused to let me do it, saying it was against store policy. I tried to explain to him that it won't hurt the computer, but still refused. I then told him that if he didn't let us do it, we would take our business elsewhere. He finally reluctantly agreed to let us do it. But the whole time I was using the computer, he stood there with his arms folded and the nastiest look on his face that you can imagine. It was as if we were doing something to him personally. Well, we bought the pc and he got his commission. And yes, this was at Bestbuy.

If they don't let you do it, just tell them you will try the live cd at home and will promptly be back with the computer if it does not work. Then they will have to repackage it. Chances are they will let you try it at the store. ;)

aysiu
June 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Well, we bought the pc and he got his commission. And yes, this was at Bestbuy. Well, I've had numerous Best Buy employees tell me they do not work on commission. Based on the way they act, though, I don't know if I believe them.

H2SO_four
June 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I would just pop it in when they aren't looking... :)

jbruced
June 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM
sometimes it's easier better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

+1

jbruced
June 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM
wrong post

jbruced
June 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
i would just pop it in when they aren't looking... :)

+1

HappyFeet
June 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I would just pop it in when they aren't looking... :)

But a lot of times on laptops they have the DVD/CD drive "locked" with a metal bar in front of it.

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 06:21 PM
99.9% chance any employee actually cares about anything.

lol, you wish.

pwnst*r
June 4th, 2009, 06:22 PM
But a lot of times on laptops they have the DVD/CD drive "locked" with a metal bar in front of it.

and for good reason.

Keith_Beef
June 4th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Go into the store and find the model you want out on display.

If the drive is not locked, just put in the CD, boot and test.

If the drive is locked, call over a sales assistant.

If the sales assistant objects, ask if he would buy a $600 jacket without trying it to make sure it fits, is comfortable, and looks OK. Repeat this argument to the store manager if necessary.

If you are polite, intelligent and look like you are serious about buying the laptop provided that it works, then I really don't think your request to try Ubuntu on it will be refused.

K.

.Maleficus.
June 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I guess in the end it's not up to me, but being a Best Buy employee I can safely say this isn't a good idea. If you ask and pester like HappyFeet, of course you'll **** them off. If you don't ask and they catch you, you will probably get kicked out of the store. For laptops, there is a 14 return policy - simply buy, take it home and try it out. As long as you return it (if you need to) within those 14 days, you should be fine.

And Best Buy employees don't get commission. I'd have a lot more money than I do now if we did.

HappyFeet
June 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I guess in the end it's not up to me, but being a Best Buy employee I can safely say this isn't a good idea. If you ask and pester like HappyFeet, of course you'll **** them off. If you don't ask and they catch you, you will probably get kicked out of the store. For laptops, there is a 14 return policy - simply buy, take it home and try it out. As long as you return it (if you need to) within those 14 days, you should be fine.

And Best Buy employees don't get commission. I'd have a lot more money than I do now if we did.

So you're saying it is better for Bestbuy to have to deal with returned merchandise and repackaging, not to mention that now it will probably have to be sold as an open item for less money, than to let someone try a live cd and avoid all that? Not to mention the customers' time and effort. Foolishness. Doesn't sound like a good business plan.

.Maleficus.
June 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM
So you're saying it is better for Bestbuy to have to deal with returned merchandise and repackaging, not to mention that now it will probably have to be sold as an open item for less money, than to let someone try a live cd and avoid all that? Not to mention the customers' time and effort. Foolishness. Doesn't sound like a good business plan.
Why do you think he'll need to return it? There shouldn't be any hardware trouble, save for the wireless which has a fix here (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/need-wireless-driivers-for-cq60-215dx-715644/). You won't be able to test that in the store anyways. It has an Nvidia card so no problems there, no bluetooth so nothing to worry about there.

HappyFeet
June 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
You won't be able to test that in the store anyways. It has an Nvidia card so no problems there, no bluetooth so nothing to worry about there.

Yes you can test for wireless simply by clicking on the network icon. You won't be able to connect to any of them, but at least you would be able to see any networks in the area.

aysiu
June 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I think you're better off...

1. Not buying from Best Buy
2. Buying Linux preinstalled

Especially #2 helps, because if you buy Linux preinstalled, you know everything will work, and you also send a message to OEMs that offering Linux preinstalled options can be profitable, so there will then be more Linux preinstalled options in the future.

sim-value
June 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Or just join Pc-Jackers !