PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't boot without pressing a key

hughc1
June 4th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I upgraded to jackalope from the a CD downloaded from the Oregon site. The download was MD5Sum checked OK. The CD was made at the slowest speed. The install was successful. But, the system won't boot or shutdown completely without pressing Enter. I get a grub menu, pick Ubuntu, the boot starts, a few lines display(no errors) and the disk lite goes out. If I press enter or any key the disk lite displays and the boot increments, stops, and waits for me to press another key. The system eventually boots and works until shutdown. The desktop goes away, a few lines display, then the disk lite goes out. I press enter, the disk lite displays and continues as I press enter. Any ideas?

The machine is a Compaq Presario F700, 1 gig of ram with 100 gig hard disk. Nvidia, ath5.

The problem is with the CD used to install the software too.

ScottHW
June 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
You sure you have 1 meg of RAM?

I'm looking at my GRUB menu.lst now, but I don't see any "delay" options, only the "timeout", and that doesn't sound like what you're describing.

hughc1
June 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I downloaded from a new iso from the Purdue site, md5sumed and burned a new CD. Followed with a new install using the CD. Same problem.
BTW, I'm installing 64bit
Linux hughc-laptop 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

DataMatrix
June 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
A friend of mine have the same issue with HP Pavillion notebook (AMD Athlon64 X2 CPU) but he has that issue with 8.10. He has to keep pressing space in order to reach run level 2 and from there on everything is normal.
Any ideas?

hughc1
June 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Its good to know I'm not the only person with this problem.
Does your friend run 64 bit?
Thank you.

hughc1
June 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I found more info in another thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1059545

Thanks.

3nd3r
October 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
add acpi=noirq to your kernel line in your /boot/grub/menu.1st