PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After upgrading intel video driver, unable to get to graphical desktop

ptsubin
June 4th, 2009, 04:56 AM
:(
I have just upgraded the intel video driver from the updates in launchpad. Update was done and i logged out. When i tried to login again, i had no trouble seeing the graphical login screen, and after i could see the panel flash and screen goes white. Bothing else. Mouse cursor is there, fine moving. I tried xfix in recovery mode. No good result.Please Tell me how can i revert to the previous driver through command line, or give me the full package name to remove.

mykrob
June 4th, 2009, 05:05 AM
please post the results of typing

startx

in the command line after you log in.

ptsubin
June 4th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Can you give me the full name of package xorg_intel... SO that i can remove it when i restart the system now to check it.

mykrob
June 4th, 2009, 05:58 AM
xorg-xserver-video-intel

However, you may not need to do that.. I suggested typing startx because I know that it will fail, but it will tell us exactly WHY it is failing. You can remove the package if you'd like, but it may be something very simple.

ptsubin
June 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I couldn't see that, but when i issued startx from root shell in recovery mode, it gave me no problem. Then i removed all other video drivers not applicable for me and reinstalled the above one. Now it works fine. I had reconfigured my panels, removing the top one, and added a sliding side bar.. I doubted it, but now it is going fine. I observed running srartx as root gave no problem, and before that i had no troubles with a graphical login window, except a white desktop.

mykrob
June 4th, 2009, 06:10 AM
interesting. Perhaps it was a botched download/install

Glad to hear its working, though.

ptsubin
June 4th, 2009, 06:12 AM
You can't imagine my relief.. I depend on ubuntu a lot these days..