PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Total Newbie here... Need tons of help...

65Shelby
June 4th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I just installed Ubuntu Server 9.04 and only have the command line working. I am trying to get the GUI installed and working but I am not getting that done.

I need to install the GDM I guess? But I am so new I dont even know how to change drives and change folders...

I am trying to install gnome and GDM but it keeps telling me it couldnt find the package.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shelby

lisati
June 4th, 2009, 04:34 AM
The server edition disk doesn't normally install a GUI. You might want to try the following:

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
Note: it might need to download a lot of stuff so a good internet connection will be useful.

65Shelby
June 4th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I typed that in exactly and I get "Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "ubuntu-desktop"

ad_267
June 4th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Try a "sudo apt-get update" first, then try again.

It might be better to just start again and install the Ubuntu desktop edition if you haven't gone too far already and don't mind wasting some bandwidth. You can install all the server applications you need on the desktop version too.

65Shelby
June 4th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Ok DLing now... I have 22mb cable so I am good... Hmm already done, lets try...

Ok this is working, doing another DL now...

Thanks... I have a cheat sheet on basic commands, is there another source for how to change Dirs, Drives, etc?

I will need to gain remote access to other boxes and I have NO IDEA how to do that either.

zman58
June 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Install the desktop version. Ubuntu 9.04 desktop i386. You will find that it is the easiest to work with and learn from. It is also very stable and works best with the various hardware out there. The desktop version works great as a server too. If you are a newbie, then start with something easy and work your way up. I run a dedicated Ubuntu server, but would not recommend that to a newbie.

65Shelby
June 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Well I already had server installed... I got all the updates and installed the desktop and Gnome...

How do I utilize remote access/management from a desktop? I will be installing Ubuntu desktop on my laptop today and will need to know how to remote into the servers

ad_267
June 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I think you can use Ubuntu's VNC client under Applications - Internet - Remote Desktop Viewer. I've only used this to control a session where another user is logged in already, but I think it's possible to use VNC to log in to a remote desktop by installing a VNC server on that machine. Someone else can hopefully explain this more.

Edit: This might help, although it's a bit old. I'd wait for someone else's advice to make sure this is still the way to go: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42941