PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu login screen reappears after lgging in, sort of X server restarts

neo_ritz
June 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
When I log into Kubuntu, the X server restarts and I'm back on the logon screen.
This happened after an abrupt shutdown during a major upgrade, from Intrepid to Jaunty.
I ran the dpkg reconfigure option from the recovery mode, but that did not solve the problem.
Ho do I combat this situation?

McNils
June 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I think that something in your .kde directory is broken. Rename it and restart x. All your settings is removed but you can restore them later...

mv -i .kde kde.bak

neo_ritz
June 5th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Thanks,I ran all recover menu utilities and it's up and running.
Actually, my bro added karmic repos, and it updated to KDE 4.3 Beta, hus the probs.

ctav01
June 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Sorry, having the same problem. I tried the

mv -i .kde kde.bakand restarted but nothing changed. It wasn't specified if it should be done in /root or in /home/me so I did both.

I also ran the dpkg reconfigure option from the recovery mode and it did nothing for me too.

neo_ritz, where are these other recovery menu utilities you ran? If you mean fsck, I tried running that and it gave me a big don't-do-on-a-mounted-system error that scared me off.

Thanks.

ctav01
June 14th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Turns out I had run out of free space on the drive so nothing was working until I deleted some files. After that, I'm guessing one of the suggested fixes worked but I have no idea which one it was.

Fixed.

jorgecota
June 20th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Same problem here. I've created 2 new users to keep using kubuntu. These profiles are stuck in the login screen.
I tried all suggestions, no success yet. Any comments or guide would be appreciated.