PDA

View Full Version : Collection Of My Scripts so far, take a look.

altech6983
June 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM
To use these scripts copy the code from the script's code window and paste in to a empty document and title it what you want. Then open up a terminal, navigate to the directory you put it in and type ./yourscriptname

If you don't meet the requirements listed for the script you want, post before using the script and I will try to help you.

Most of these scripts can be modified quite easily so if you don't meet the requirements post and I may be able to help you

All of these scripts run on this machine: Quad-Core 3.5GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI HD4870 X2 Video, 64 bit Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. This may or may not cause you trouble if your machine is different. Read the requirements, if you meet them then try the script, if it doesn't work post and I will try to help.

Any script I post should not harm your computer should you execute it wrong or it runs wrong, If I know or realize that you could harm your computer if it should do so I will post a big red warning telling you so.

That being said, I won't be held responsible for any trouble or damage you incur should you try to use my scripts. If you do have trouble I will try to help you resolve it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have written three or four scripts so far and I decided that I would post them here so that they might help someone else. They go in order that I wrote them.

I have no set version system but in general it will go like this: If I deem it a small change the version will increase by 0.01, if it is a large change it will increase by 0.1. All scripts that I will post on here start out as a v1.0 .

Script 1 (v1.0):
This is the first script I ever wrote. This script launches Nexuiz among other things.

Requirements

ATI Video Card (I run a HD4870 X2 so the fanspeed setting may not work for you if you don' have that card)
That you use metacity for your compositing manager. If you need help with compiz just ask and I will see if I can find how to turn that one off. (If you don't know what you use and haven't changed settings, it is a good bet that it is compiz)
That you have the main Nexuiz folder installed to /home/your-username/Nexuiz
If you don't meet those requirements, post before using the script and I will try to help you.

#!/bin/sh
#Creator:Albert Eardley
#Free to use this code however you see fit. If you use some of my code please credit me.

#Execute Nexuiz

#Turns Off mouse accleration
xset m 0 0

#Gets current values for all modified variables
fanspeed=`aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0" | awk '/([0-9][0-9])/ {print $4}'`
metacity=gconftool-2 -g '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager'
screen=gconftool-2 -g '/apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled'

#Sets fan speed to 70%
aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 70%"

#Turns off metacity
gconftool-2 -s --type bool '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' false

#Turns off screensaver
gconftool-2 -s --type bool '/apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled' 0

#Waits and then launches nexuiz
sleep 3
~/Nexuiz/nexuiz-linux-sdl.sh
sleep 3

#Sets everything back to what they were
aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 $fanspeed"
gconftool-2 -s --type bool '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' $metacity
gconftool-2 -s --type bool '/apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled' $screen

Script 2 (v1.0):
This is a simple script that logs your cpu temp every ten minutes (easy to change to something else). I wrote it because I do overclocking and I just started folding and I wanted to see the max temp my comp went to while running two folding cores over night. It places the log in the your current working directory.

Requirements
That your cpu has sensor support
You have installed the program lm-sensors

#!/bin/bash
#Usage, just run the script
#Requires that you have sensors installed and sensor support for your hardware
#Free to use this code however you see fit. If you use some of my code please credit me.

while true; do #Run forever until Ctrl-C
date +%r >> CPUTemp.txt #Appends date to file
sensors | grep "Core" >> CPUTemp.txt #Appends temp to file
sleep 10m #Waits ten minutes and does it again
done

Script 3 (v1.01):
I wrote this script because I wanted to be able to control the cores for folding and be able to control where the windows were placed.

Requirements
Two folding cores installed to the path /home/your-username/Folding and /home/your-username/Folding2
That you run a Dual or Quad core machine
That you have install wmctrl
That you have at least two desktops (Not physical desktops like computers ;-) , virtual desktops)
And that you use Gnome

#!/bin/bash
#This script controls my two Folding cores that I run.
#Usage, fahcontrol [start/stop/config] [core1/core2] [core2/core1]
#This script requires you to have wmctrl installed.
#This script needs to me placed in /usr/bin
#Free to use however you see fit. If you use some of my code please credit me though.

if [ "$1" = "start" ]; then #If first argument is start then do start procedure
if ([ "$2" = "core1" ] && [ "$3" = "core2" ]) || ([ "$2" = "core2" ] && [ "$3" = "core1" ]); then #Checks to see if both Cores should be started
cd /home/altech6983/Folding #Changes working directory to Core1's script location
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore1' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9" #Launches a seperate terminal and bash to run Core1

cd /home/altech6983/Folding2 #Changes working directory to Core2's script location
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore2' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9" #Launches a seperate terminal and bash to run Core2

sleep 2 #Wait for windows to appear

core1id=`wmctrl -l | awk '/FAHCore1/ {print $1}'` #Finds wmctrl id of the first Core
wmctrl -i -r $core1id -t 1 #Moves Core1's terminal to desk2
core2id=`wmctrl -l | awk '/FAHCore2/ {print $1}'` #Finds wmctrl id of the second Core
wmctrl -i -r $core2id -t 1 #Moves Core2's terminal to desk2

sleep 1
wmctrl -i -r $core1id -e '0,0,20,800,435' #Moves Core1's window to top left corner
wmctrl -i -r $core2id -e '0,0,487,800,435' #Moves Core2's window to below Core1's window

elif [ "$2" = "core1" ]; then #Only launches Core1

cd /home/altech6983/Folding
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore1' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9"

sleep 2
core1id=`wmctrl -l | awk '/FAHCore1/ {print $1}'`
wmctrl -i -r $core1id -t 1

sleep 1
wmctrl -i -r $core1id -e '0,0,20,800,435'

elif [ "$2" = "core2" ]; then #Only launches Core2

cd /home/altech6983/Folding2
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore2' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9"

sleep 2
core2id=`wmctrl -l | awk '/FAHCore2/ {print $1}'`
wmctrl -i -r $core2id -t 1

sleep 1
wmctrl -i -r $core2id -e '0,0,487,800,435'
fi
elif [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then #If first command is stop do stop procedures
if ([ "$2" = "core1" ] && [ "$3" = "core2" ]) || ([ "$2" = "core2" ] && [ "$3" = "core1" ]); then #Checks to see if both Cores should be stopped

core1id=`wmctrl -l | awk '/FAHCore1/ {print $1}'` #Finds wmctrl id of the first Core
wmctrl -i -c $core1id #Closes Core1

core2id=`wmctrl -l | awk '/FAHCore2/ {print $1}'` #Finds wmctrl id of the second Core
wmctrl -i -c $core2id #Closes Core2

elif [ "$2" = "core1" ]; then

wmctrl -i -c $core1id

elif [ "$2" = "core2" ]; then

wmctrl -i -c $core2id
fi
elif [ "$1" = "config" ]; then
if ([ "$2" = "core1" ] && [ "$3" = "core2" ]) || ([ "$2" = "core2" ] && [ "$3" = "core1" ]); then #Checks to see if both Cores should be configured
cd /home/altech6983/Folding #Changes working directory to Core1's script location
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore1' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -configonly" #Launches a seperate terminal and bash to configured Core1

cd /home/altech6983/Folding2 #Changes working directory to Core2's script location
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore2' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -configonly" #Launches a seperate terminal and bash to configured Core2

elif [ "$2" = "core1" ]; then #Only configured Core1

cd /home/altech6983/Folding
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore1' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -configonly"

elif [ "$2" = "core2" ]; then #Only configured Core2

cd /home/altech6983/Folding2
gnome-terminal --title='FAHCore2' -x bash -c "./fah6 -smp -configonly"
fi
fi

Leave a note if one of them helped you. Also if you have any question feel free to ask, I will try to help to the best of my knowledge. Thanks

monsterstack
June 4th, 2009, 02:21 AM
You might want to tell people of some of the hardware-specific parts of your scripts and where the scripts need to be changed for others to use. Many people around here barely know any bash'n at all and will just copy-paste, get errors, and come back yelling WRRRRY. That's not something you want. :D

altech6983
June 4th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Okay I have post some requirements (all I could think of at this paticurlar time :-) )

Let me know if I missed some and thanks for pointing that out.

altech6983
June 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I have posted v1.01 of Script 3. The script now lets you pass the config argument so that you can configure your cores.