PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm: indicator-applet (envelope) should not be only option for notifications

vegetarianshrimp
June 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20098/image/2/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20098/)

Rationale:
In Ubuntu 9.04, the Pidgin icon in the notification area was replaced by the Gnome indidcator-applet, and is the only option for Pidgin notifications. I think it's a great idea, putting all notifications together, but some people (like me), only use it for one thing, for example, Pidgin. It's really annoying, because it requires two clicks, one on the envelope, and one on the program, instead of just the icon of the program.

Solution #1: automatic switch to regular icons with removal of indicator-applet
Its fairly simple. Someone removes the indicator-applet from their Gnome panel, and the original icons for things like Pidgin reappear in the Notification Area.

Viva
June 4th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Install guitifications

vegetarianshrimp
June 4th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Install guitifications
I already have notifications of people logging in and such from the new notification system in 9.04. thanks though :)

Tibuda
June 4th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Solution #1: automatic switch to regular icons with removal of indicator-applet
Its fairly simple. Someone removes the indicator-applet from their Gnome panel, and the original icons for things like Pidgin reappear in the Notification Area.

Are you sure it does not already works? I don't have the indicator applet, and I have a Pidgin icon in the notification area. Maybe there's a setting somewhere, I had imported from Intrepid.

zekopeko
June 4th, 2009, 02:26 AM
better and simpler way would be to make the indicator applet open on mouse over not on click.

bruce89
June 4th, 2009, 02:28 AM
The only way I can see is to abandon libindicate entirely. Clearly Canonical can't be bothered submitting it as a GNOME depenency, so they have hopefully lost interest.

mcduck
June 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Good idea, although I'm much more annoyed by the fact that the applet doesn't have a handle. If you don't have Pidgin, Evolution or some other program running that uses the applet it will be completely invisible, unclickable and unmovable but still on the way of your other panel applets.

mcduck
June 4th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Are you sure it does not already works? I don't have the indicator applet, and I have a Pidgin icon in the notification area. Maybe there's a setting somewhere, I had imported from Intrepid.

Pidgin icon can still be enabled from Pidgin's settings.

Although if you do that and still have the Indicator applet on your panel you end with 4 different applets/icons reacting to Pidgin status. Indicator applet, Pidgin's notification icon, User Switcher-applet and on top of everything it even shows in the Window List on all workspaces..

Pretty bad result considering the purpose was to reduce clutter in panels..

zekopeko
June 4th, 2009, 09:35 AM
The only way I can see is to abandon libindicate entirely. Clearly Canonical can't be bothered submitting it as a GNOME depenency, so they have hopefully lost interest.

isn't the whole point of notify-osd and libindicate to test waters?
why submit it as a dependency when it's not stable nor at a level worthy of gnome inclusion?

vegetarianshrimp
June 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, you can enable the pidgin icon in the preferences of pidgin, but I was thinking that if you removed the indicator-applet, all the default icons and such of the applications using it would appear.