PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] firefox so slow

satipera
June 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Why is firefox so slow after updating to jaunty. Really it takes ages to load and run plus wait time for pages is terrible.

gettinoriginal
June 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
This is a good place to start to fix it: :p
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-firefox-web-browser.html
Really does speed things up.

satipera
June 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the reply, I have bookmarked and will be looking closely at it tomorrow. I would like to know why do we need to do this? What is going wrong in the first place?

gettinoriginal
June 4th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Nothing is really wrong. Firefox is a browser that works with many OS's, therefore, it must have the settings to allow it to do so. The link I sent you is just to tweak those settings for the Ubuntu family :p

lovinglinux
June 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Just for curiosity, could you post the result of Peacekeeper (http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action) benchmark?

Extensions can slow it down considerably. In my case, if I have all my extensions loaded, performance drops about 20-30%.

You could also try to optimize Firefrox databases. There is a tutorial somewhere about this with an optimization script, but I can't find it. You can try my own script, which is not elegant. Follow instructions below:

1 ) install sqlite3 (apt:sqlite3)
2) create an empty file where you save your personal scripts (usually ~/bin) and name it firefox-databases, then right-click on it, select Preferences, then Permissions tab, then select the option "Allow to execute as program".
3) Create a new empty file in the same folder and name it firefox-optimize, then add the code below to it and save it.

#!/bin/bash

killall firefox

echo "#!/bin/bash" > $HOME/bin/firefox-databases

echo "" >> $HOME/bin/firefox-databases

find $HOME/.mozilla -type f \( -name "*.sqlite" \) | sed 's/.*/sqlite3 &/g' | sed 's/.*/& "vacuum"/g' >> $HOME/bin/firefox-databases

$HOME/bin/firefox-databases

Then make it also executable and run it from the terminal.

firefox-optimize

The script above will basically search for all sqlite databases on the ~/.mozilla folder, create a new script to optimize these databases, save it as firefox-databases in your script directory and will execute it.

UKeywords: 649167 2009 june sqlite sqlite3 optimization firefox script performance vacuum

powel212
June 4th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Give epiphany browser a try.

It is very similar to Firefox but is super lightweight.

It is in the repos.

Powel

Also for the purpose of testing the integrity of your Firefox install you could create a new user, log out, log in as new user and try firefox as new user and see if it improves at all.

P.

cogs10
June 4th, 2009, 04:16 AM
hi, i was having a slowdown on firefox for winxp, when i updated to firefox3, so i downgraded to firefox2, and the speed returned. but yes, the slowdown may have to do with addons.