PDA

View Full Version : netbook-launcher using 100% cpu

chesterman
June 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Hello people.

I'm new to the foruns, but not so new to linux. I'm a ubuntu and debian user since 2005 and work every day with linux. i'm using the jaunty netbook remix since it went out in my msi wind u100 and i'm just loving. everything worked out of the box and the system is very good.

last week i plugged a external monitor to my wind, and after some issues, it worked ok with the 2 displays, but when i got home, the netbook-launcher process is using 100% of the cpu, and is barely usable. when i'm using another app (like yakuake or firefox) and the netbook-launcher goes to background, it stop consuming cpu time, but when i go back to the main screen, it takes full load again.

right now i'm using the standard gnome desktop, but the new netbook desktop is much better for my wind.

tks in advance for any help and sorry for my poor english.

chesterman
June 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
anyone?

chesterman
June 5th, 2009, 01:51 AM
i dont know if this is relevant, but i think my glxgearsis is too slow
79 frames in 5.1 seconds = 15.568 FPS
91 frames in 5.0 seconds = 18.053 FPS
111 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22.198 FPS

this is my xorg.conf is very small:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 2515 2136
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

i never touched the file. it was auto configured.

maubp
January 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
i'm using the jaunty netbook remix ... the netbook-launcher process is using 100% of the cpu
Did you solve this? I think I have a similar problem.

I'm using an Acer Aspire Revo 3600, either with a monitor on VGA or a TV on HDMI, with the nVidia drivers. I've been trying the Karmic Ubuntu netbook remix 9.10 (UNR) and also a pre-release nightly of the Lucid version (what will be 10.4 later this year). I see the netbook-launcher process using 100% of the cpu (e.g. check by top in a terminal window).

dabagboy
February 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Did you solve this? I think I have a similar problem.

I'm using an Acer Aspire Revo 3600, either with a monitor on VGA or a TV on HDMI, with the nVidia drivers. I've been trying the Karmic Ubuntu netbook remix 9.10 (UNR) and also a pre-release nightly of the Lucid version (what will be 10.4 later this year). I see the netbook-launcher process using 100% of the cpu (e.g. check by top in a terminal window).

Bump, Same Revo 3600 same problem exactly.

drewcox
March 1st, 2010, 11:47 AM
I am seeing the same issue with a fresh install of 9.10 Netbook Remix on a HP/Compaq TC1100 convertable tablet. It has a Nvidia Geforce 420 Go 32M chipset. I believe I have seen another user with this issue on this model.

Problem appears both before and after installing the Nvidia drivers successfully. OpenGL seems to be working, the glx demos (glxgears etc) seem to work fine with 800-1000 fps. Applications seem to work fine, but any interaction with the netbook-launcher is extrememly slow and the process takes 80-100% CPU for several seconds after. Pretty much what others are saying...

Would love to get this working better, as it seems like a great replacement for the native WinXP on this machine for basic surfing etc.

sloty
March 8th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I am seeing the same issue with a fresh install of 9.10 Netbook Remix on a HP/Compaq TC1100 convertable tablet. It has a Nvidia Geforce 420 Go 32M chipset. I believe I have seen another user with this issue on this model.

Problem appears both before and after installing the Nvidia drivers successfully. OpenGL seems to be working, the glx demos (glxgears etc) seem to work fine with 800-1000 fps. Applications seem to work fine, but any interaction with the netbook-launcher is extrememly slow and the process takes 80-100% CPU for several seconds after. Pretty much what others are saying...

Would love to get this working better, as it seems like a great replacement for the native WinXP on this machine for basic surfing etc.

Iḿ having the same problems on my TC1100. Curruntly i'm running Ubuntu 9.10 . When i in install the NBR launcher it's verry verry slow. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Skaperen
March 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Saw the same on an ASUS EeePC 900. I was just trying out NBR and for many reasons decided to go back to regular Ubuntu. But it was doing the 100% CPU thing and really slow when I did have NBR on it.

groggluebutt
April 12th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I have what seems to be the same issue on an Dell Latitude C840 running the proprietary NVidia drivers.

lspci says I have a GeForce4 440:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] 9rev a3)

glxgears gives:
5474 frames in 5.0 seconds
5652 frames in 5.0 seconds
9518 frames in 5.0 seconds
10944 frames in 5.0 seconds

netbook-launcher is very slow to respond to mouse clicks, slow to draw updates. CPU goes to 100% when netbook-launcher is in the foreground and I try to click on anything.

This is a laptop that was running 8.10, and I upgraded to 9.10.

JanMalte
April 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
It seems like this is a know problem:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/349314
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870317

Poorly i have no solution for it at all and stick with the same problem. So if anyone could help it would be great. I want to use the nice Lucid on my Dell Inspirion 1525

diego_dambra
September 29th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I had same problem, the issue was in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, removed:

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

I believe the section was added by proprietary NVidia driver.

CPU load is now back to normal - Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04

Fabben23
November 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix on an old PC with a 24" monitor attached. I had all the problems listed here. Mainly mouse usuable, main screen unresponsive and netbook-launcher running at 100%

After a month of trying various things and getting nowhere - I was ready to give up.
Then I tried changing the screen resolution - IT WORKED. :)

Then I tried all the resolutions for my monitor - some work and some don't. It's a night and day difference. If it works, it works very well but if it doesn't work, it's unusable.

Can it be that something that had me perplexed for so long, just needs the monitor's resolution tweaked a little and then it's fixed?